Can Titans WRs at least make it appear they want to go get a ball?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Sep 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HornedToad10

HornedToad10 Camp Fodder

Perhaps he doesn't like getting hit in the NFL? It certainly seems like he doesn't want to run when he has the option.

As to your second paragraph, your saying in college he is a good QB if he can throw the ball in the vicinity of the receiver and the receiver makes the play for it.... Seems kinda extreme to rely on the receiver to always do all the work....

2. SHSUTitan

SHSUTitan Camp Fodder

I don't know-maybe after the injury last year he got tentative. He had never been hurt before so maybe he is gun shy. I do think he needs to have that skill to be effective. I think calling some designed runs would help his confidence. They need to force him to run and once he gets hit a few times he will start doing it more. In the past he has played better after making a big run, taking a hit and then jawing a little at the defense. You didn't see that much last year.

3. SHSUTitan

SHSUTitan Camp Fodder

Did you see about half of Randy Moss' TDs last year. Several were 1 handed grabs over 2 defenders. I am not arguing that VY is as accurate as Brady, but Brady often just throws it up to Moss and lets him do the work in the red zone. Look at the Favre TD yesterday. That would have been a pick for VY. Palmer does the same with 8-5. Warner with the Cards' receivers. In the red zone it is common practice to throw it up and let your WR go get it. VY doesn't have that luxury in the red zone. Which of our guys would you trust to throw a ball up to and let them go get it? I can think of 20+ guys in the league I could do that with, but we don't have that opportunity. We probably don't have a top 50 WR in the league.

4. UVATitan

UVATitan Camp Fodder

First let me lay out an assumption that I feel is true: NFL WR coaches know WR talent

Our WR corp right now "stars" a 3rd string WR in Gage via the Bears who have not only given up on all of the receivers they had then but gone and started Hester as a WR now. Our other starting receiver was a garbage WR with the Titans and a miserable failure in the Jets system.

We have by far the worst WR core (yes even worse than the 49ers) so I do not blame VY. Has he shown poor judgement? Yes, but he is still maturing and honestly we do not have enough WR help around him to help out.

Ask yourselves since Mason left who has been our best receiver and you have to answer that its been in our TE positions (Wychek, Scaife, Crumpler). That is not helping our passing game at all, we simply need just 1 WR threat.

5. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

The answer is Drew Bennett.

6. SHSUTitan

SHSUTitan Camp Fodder

The same Drew Bennet that barely saw the field for the really bad Rams team last year?

7. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

Yeah.....Drew Bennett had 5 games in 2005 that led him to big bucks. He's done pretty well as a #1 in TN (2006) and as a #2/3 (2007) ever since <sarcasm>. Now he's out with injury again. BUST!

8. Architect

Architect Pain Train

See James Hardy and Adarius Bowman

I understand that the Pacman fiasco has left a bitter taste in the Titans FO's mouth and the fans as well. But these were guys that could have been had and would have been well worth the draft stock

9. SHSUTitan

SHSUTitan Camp Fodder

10. The Don

The Don Upsetting The Apple Cart

IMO, that's part of the problem. The receivers have no idea where the ball is going to be when VY lets it fly. Vince appears to not be able to throw to a spot, he can't hit them when they are open for that matter.

They have to break off routes and stand in place for VY to throw.

Good grief he had a wide open Chris Johnson and threw it at his shinbone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar