Can Vince lead a team to a Superbowl?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by nate42104, Jan 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

He cuts down his INTs and he will be fine. Hopefully with a new offense they will trust him more to throw in the redzone.

2. titans4life10

titans4life10 Camp Fodder

Originally Posted by nate42104
    1. Brady - Moss,Welker,Stallworth,Maroney..i can stop there but it is etc.

2. Roethlisberger-Ward,Holmes, Miller, Parker

3. Garrard - now here can be an enigma, cuz Reg Williams isnt the greatest WR, but a healthy Fred Taylor proved to be a difference maker

4. Manning - WAYNE, Clark, Addai (No Harrison, but rookie Gonzalez filled in ok)

5. Romo - TO, Witten, Barber

6. Favre - Driver, i might just leave it as that as Jennings is now up and coming and Grant helped out coming out of no where

7. Garcia - Galloway(who i dont care wat anyone says, can still outrun almost all DB's), Hilliard(great Possesion WR), and besides that Tampa runs a very Heavy run offense

8. Hasselbeck - Branch, Engram, Hackett

18. Rivers - LT, Gates, Chambers, and upcoming Jackson

20. Campbell - Moss, Randle El, Cooley

25. E. Manning - Shockey, Burress, Toomer, Jacobs

26. V. Young (30th in his rookie season) - Gage, R.Williams, White, Scaife, Bironas our true weapon on offense this season

Please note I have adjusted the list to show what players were around the QB for the season.

So there is your list, and now you can compare ratings with the QB's

3. KingTitan25

KingTitan25 Guest

a simple, Yes he can and will

4. titans4life10

It'll happen, we did it with McNair, we can do it with Young

5. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

2003 was Brady (Delhomme). I'm not sure why you left that one off.

6. titans4life10

Just like 1999 was Warner 1st(McNair, not sure why that was left out) and 2000 was Dilfer hahahaha(Collins, eh)

7. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill Camp Fodder

I also noticed that 2000 was left out, what was Dilfer's rating? How about Collins?

I just don't believe they had that good of a QB rating since it is a foregone conclusion that both sucked and were the worst pair of QBs to ever start in a Superbowl.

Young being a top 5 QB in passing efficiency is not a huge stretch, he was #2 in college his junior year and that was with him playing against some pretty salty defenses.

For him to be successful he needs two things.

1. play makers around him in every superbowl champion listed each had great playmakers around them. Vince has nothing.

2. He needs a offensive system built around his skills, if that means he runs exclusively out of the shotgun then do it. If he needs a spread offense then run it. If he needs Greg Davis then go hire him.

Chow might have been a great college offensive mind but so is Steve Spurrier and he was also crap in the NFL. Now that Vince has a real OC he should improve as long as the talent around him improves.

8. titans4life10

Thank you, someone atleast gets my point. How bout this, get VY atleast 2 Weapons next year, TE or WR, make that run game more proficient. If he can not succeed or atleast have a good TD to INT ratio(I am ok with 2 to 1 ratio in his 3rd yr) then we can start to question if VY is the franchise QB we thought he would be.

9. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

I pointed out that in 2000 and 2003 the indicator did not hold true, so it is possible to play in February without an efficient passing game. However, it is rare.

Vince is young (wakka wakka wakka), and I do have patience. I would have never guessed that in 2 years we would have even made the playoffs. But, we must realize that Vince did not "lead" us to the playoffs this season. It was clearly our defense that allowed us to win 10 games and sneak in. However, his rookie year, he DID lead us during a remarkable run at the playoffs; using his legs.

But, I think the "he is young" argument is not all that strong. Here are other Superbowl winning QBs early in their career while Vince is at the bottom of all passing stats in each of his first two seasons.

Joe Montana: (won Superbowl in 3rd season)
    Rookie year: 5th in passer rating
    2nd year: 4th in passer rating

Troy Aikman (won Superbowl in 3rd and 4th season)
    Rookie year: 26th
    2nd year: 6th

Brady (had first start early in his 2nd season)
    2nd year: 6th
    3rd year: 9th (won Superbowl)

Roethlisberger: Won Superbowl rookie season
    Rookie season: 3rd

Favre: (won MVP during 4th, 5th, 6th seasons)
    Rookie season: 6th

However, Elway was near the bottom of the list early in his career, so hopefully Vince can fit into the Elway category. We just have to be very CAREFUL in giving Vince a free pass early in his career when plenty of other QB's are winning and already beginning to play at the highest level during their first 2 years.

10. Kid Gloves

Kid Gloves Guest

Just a note, Phil Simms was not the winning QB for the 90-91 season, he was injured. Jeff Hostetler was the winning QB for SB XXV.

Jeff Hostetler

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar