Canada Surrenders to the US

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Hoffa, Feb 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

2. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Our plan to win the most medals was always a bit of a pipe dream. It's good to set lofty goals, I suppose, but I am not at all surprised at where we sit.

To be fair, there are 10x as many Americans as Canadians. Of course you should win more medals. Your athletes are really coming through this year, so congrats.

The hockey game has put all of Canada into a depression (even me, and I don't even really like hockey that much), but I still think we have a way better shot at a medal than you guys.

3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Hockey, you guys can have that. I'd imagine hockey's like our football for you guys. I can say as an American I'd be really crushed if some other nation came into our house and beat us at our own game.

4. Hoffa

What's fair is the Canadians spent 2x more money than the US the past 4 years on their athletes preparation. We've never put a lot into the winter games, compared to other nations, like Canada.

5. TorontoTitanFan

A country like Iceland (population ~300,000) could spend $999,000,000,000 on training its athletes and still not win any medals. Canada will win more because we have 100x as many people. The US will win more still because you guys have 1000x as many.

I would also argue that those spending stats are probably wrong. Canada may have spent more in the last few years on its winter athletes, but that doesn't take into account past spending by Americans on infrastructure, establishing training programs, luring top coaches from around the world, etc. You have to look at the big picture. I doubt any nation has come close to spending as much on athletics as the US.

I don't really know why the Canadian government thinks it's so important for us to win medals. I don't really care about it. There's plenty of other stuff for Canadians to be proud of.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Hoffa

No, the spending stats are correct...
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/olympics/2010/02/22/medals.ap/index.html

The big picture is Canada spent 2x more than the US. That's a fact. Canada spent more on infrastructure and training facilities (you're hosting the games!) and everything else.

The population excuse is a cop out. Norway has a population of 5 million, but they have won more medals than Canada which has a population of 34 million.

7. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

USA USA USA!!! Sorry I couldn't resist.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. TorontoTitanFan

Haha, I always underestimate just how much Americans care about this stuff. I am not at all trying to claim that you guys aren't the best. You win all the major sporting events (except the World Cup but I think you'll win that one eventually). You are the best at sports. Congrats.

Don't try to play the "we don't have any kind of advantage" card, though. You spend the most money on winning (perhaps not at this Olympics, but overall). You have a huge population. Those factors matter a ton. There's not some magical thing about Americans that makes them good at sports. It's simply a matter of resources. To suggest otherwise is foolish.

The fact that Canada stupidly spent $100 mil on trying to win the Olympics does nothing to negate the fact that your nation has spent billions on the same goal over the past century. We're both dumb for caring so much about sports when there are more important things in our countries we could spend that money on.

Would you guys trade your #1 medal status for free health care?

Edit: I better clarify a bit here to avoid a flame war. I am not trying to brag. I am simply bringing up an obvious example of government money being spent by Canada on something other than sports.

I have no interest in you trying to convince me that Canadian healthcare sucks (so don't bother, please). What I am getting at is that I want to know just how important sports success is for the US. Is it more important to see Bode Miller win a few medals than to know that your fellow Americans have access to the care they need? Would you yourself give up that security because you value national sports victories (the NFL and other private leagues are a totally different thing) that much?

Sports success hasn't really been something that Canadians have cared much about until very recently (exception: hockey). I have a feeling we'll go back to not caring about it too much after the failure of these Olympics. I hope we do, at least. Spending all that money on some medals is just dumb.

9. Hoffa

THIS Olympics is all this thread is about, so I don't know what point you're trying to make about other sports.

Again, what does population have to do with it, Canada has 7x more people than Norway but fewer medals.

Winter Olympics doesn't matter that much to most Americans, but means a lot to Canada, since you spent 2x more money than we did on it. I just think it's funny that's all, don't really care one way or the other.

But, do you need some back bacon with that whine, eh?

[​IMG]

p.s. What kind of health plan do you have for baby seals?...:grrhee:

10. TorontoTitanFan

Thanks, but maybe I'll decide what actually matters to Canada. What our wannabe American government spends money on isn't necessarily indicative of what people in Canada care about. What you tell me I care about isn't really relevant.

It's stupid that our government spent so much money on sports. How many more times do I need to say that? Your government does the same thing and you're cheering about it. Double standard, but I know enough Americans to know that it's foolish to expect one to admit that his country could ever do something as dumb as Canada.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar