Cap ???

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Big TT, Oct 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

Star are you here? Got a question about the cap, while cruising around on the espn site I saw the cap situation for all 32 teams, the Titans are listed with around 6 mil of room, actually some teams have quite a bit of room left. But what caught my attention is that two teams are over for this season, the Dolts are listed as being 5.9 mil over and the skins are listed at 4.9 mil over. I thought that all teams had to be under at a certain date before the season began. What's the real deal here?

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

All I know is Reese continues to say $41 mil. That doesn't include resigning free agents after this season like Bennett, Starks, Brown and Sirmon.

You might search the forum for a couple of good threads on how the salary cap works. I think Starkiller has explained it in detail a few times over the years.

3. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Big TT

The ESPN stats are dated the 6th of March.

After the season is over(end of Jan or 1st week in Feb) teams have about a six week window where only the 51 highest paid players on a team count against the cap. The deadline for the complete roster is the 10th of March.

This Colts & the Skins had 4 days to get under the cap,this year the new collective bargaining agreement pushed the cap up by $7 mill before the deadline & helped them out.

I can't remember where I read it but after Robaire signed with us we were still $3.4 million under the cap.

The $41-42 mill we estimately have available next year does not include resigning some of our free agents but you can guarantee Sirmon & Pillar will not return at their current rate of pay & Brown will probably be gone too.

4. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Resigning free agents? Brown? No. Sirmon? Not unless he takes a pay cut. Bennett? Maybe. Starks? He's probably on the fence, but if Haynesworth goes, he stays.

I sure hope pillar won't be back. Especially not at what we've been spending on him. Keep the line we have if it holds up for the rest of the season.

Let's go spend on D Line and maybe a safety or corner!

5. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

I don't think re-signing Brown is going to be a problem. If Brown is re-signed, we are in big trouble. Sirmon or Bennett, not much money there. If Bennett goes to FA, he won't draw much attention or money, same with Sirmon. Starks has the best chance of being re-signed.
    Truthfully, I don't think many teams would be interested in throw-away players from a team that hasn't won 9 games in two years. Last year, our four big signees were 1 multi-pro bowler, 2 came from Super Bowl teams and the other from the Colts. If the Titans release a player because he sucks, I hope he learned a trade while in college.

6. paraconspiracy

paraconspiracy long time browser no more

i dont see why we wouldnt want to resign starks... he's lilke 22 still. young. basically a rookie by age. i think he's worth another contract considering last year.

7. We should resign Starks, perhaps Bennett if he starts to improve down the stretch, but his resigning is definitely a maybe...

Sirmon, Pillar, Brown = Gone...

8. Teams have to be under by the beginning of the new league season. Usually that's around March 1. And afterwards, they can't ever go over on the current year's cap.

But remember that because of the CBA contract talks, the league pushed back deadlines for being under the cap and starting free agency.

9. Starks is a restricted free agent. With the kind of cap room we'll have available, I expect he'll get a high enough tender offer so teams won't be able to sign him away without at least a 1st round pick as compensation.

The same is true for Bell and Amano.

10. Wow, 1st round pick compensation...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar