Casserly resigns as general manager of Texans

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, May 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

He isn't? I thought they brought him in as a "consultant" which was really just code for succersor to Casserly. My bad... Bipolar is wrong...
    What a shock...:eek:
    ok SK... can you back me up on this? :super:

...WRONG!!!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060510/sp_nm/nfl_texans_dc_1

2. nigel

nigel Back on the bus

Casserly is probably getting a buy out from Houston, and they're agreeing to let him say he resigned instead of being fired. I'd let them blame me for whatever they wanted too if they were stuffing money in my pockets on the way out.

3. maximus

maximus Starter

yes, they are

4. Not really. I'm sure it wasn't Casserly's call on the top pick (Kubiak and/or McNair). How much influence he had on the other picks is beyond me.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

I actually think Casserly made the pick, as stupid as that sounds, because he had so many ways out.

When Reeves was brought on he could have quit right there and still kept his reputation. Why would you stay on, take the rap for pick you weren't going to make, and take the risk, when you had a reason to walk on the team. He had the perfect out.

He certainly didn't stay for the money. Two weeks of salary, to be a lame duck, and take on all the risk when someone else is making the pick for you, the gm of a team. That is madness.

He still needs a job afterward. There's no reason for him to take all that risk on a pick that he wasn't making.

It all leads you to believe it had to be his pick.

Sure. The logic is there as to why Kubiak was making the pick. It makes perfect sense. But Casserly was still in control here. He could have walked. He chose not to do it. I actually think he made that pick.

6. Nothing there gives me any reason to think Casserly made the pick. McNair owns the team. McNair was involved in the draft process. McNair hired a new coach in Kubiak who was also involved in the process. Casserly was already headed out the door and the outcome of the pick didn't affect him at all.

So McNair either made the final decision on who to pick or let Kubiak decide.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

But it does affect him. Because nobody knows the truth. And because of that Kubiak will get almost no blame if it goes wrong and Bush is a star. McNair will not get any blame because he's the owner. It will all fall on Casserly by default. He's the one who defended it. And he's the one who the fans will point the finger at. Regardless of what the truth is, because nobody knows it. And that perception will impact his career. Teams won't hire a gm that the fans think blew a no brainer. Well, not the good teams anyway. It's all about perception. Same reason Kermit Washington and Kareem will never be hired. Probably both good coaches. But nobody wants to hire an embarassment. Someone percieved as blowing it. Now in Casserly's case that is a bit of exaggeration, but it will be part of his rep unless someone claims they made the pick.

8. PhiSlammaJamma

By the way, looks like they are talking to Bennett. Another rb for them too?

9. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I think it is a fate kind of thing with the pick. It looks as if a real rivalry can brew from this if you just add wins to both sides. Sets the stage. Houston native young beats usc, Bush is passed on. Former Houston team drafts Texan Native. New Orleans rises to domination not seen since the days of Archie M....wait a minute... they sucked then...(N O)...hahahahaha... whatever. I'm glad the Texans did not select Bush. I'm glad they "did the right thing" ... I'm glad the brought in a new scapegoat to whip for the next four years... Did I mention I don't know jack about the iternal affairs of the Houston Texans? I'm sick of typeing.

10. Overalls

Overalls Starter

You show it all the time, but I'm glad to see you admit that you don't know jack.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar