Cause for optimism regarding Haynesworth staying?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Jan 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

dead weight? the guy's been all-pro the last two years....

if we're going to "take a chance" it should be on a guy who has the talent to be the absolute best at his position, not an over the hill linebacker like bulluck.

2. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

That's just not true. There's still significant time left for a deal to be worked out. Owners don't want the cap to go.

3. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

Exactly. As much as I love the Yankees (And HATE THE RED SOX) it really is a shame the way they can run their organization. I don't blame them for doing it, it's withing the rules, but it just isn't fair. The last thing we need is the NFL ending up like that, the salary cap and drafting system is the one set of rules that truly keeps the NFL at an even advantage for everyone.

4. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

More or less exactly what I've been trying to get across, but for some reason you don't like to hear me say it??

5. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

The same owners that voted to opt out of the current deal??? It 'could happen', but it isn't likely. Even if it does, the ceiling is very high. The owners already opted out of the current CBA, and though they may want to keep a cap, the NFLPA doesn't. There would have been a much better chance for a new deal to get done had they not opted out of the one that's current. We will be entering the last capped season late this year.

The point is the cap shouldn't be that big of a concern right now. Look at teams like the Colts and Patriots that lock up and sign big free agents when it already appears they are teetering toward trouble with their salary cap. The money is there. We should be able to get all our guys signed. Has more to do with structure than the dollar amounts themselves.

6. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

As RT clarified when we last discussed this issue, revenue sharing would still exist in some capacity...

7. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

For those that are whining about Al's prone to regular injury:
    He's 6'6" and 320+ lbs. That's a lot of height and weight to be placing on joints.
    Like someone mentioned, he gets double teamed constantly and DT is one of the most, if not the most physical position in the game.
    Do you honestly think that a tandem axle truck, that does a fair bit of hauling and pulling, is going to go 50,000 miles without some sort of major repair/maintenance? Why would a guy as big and physical as Al be any different?

8. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

Then why did it take me two sentences to summarize what you put in 2 paragraphs? And seriously commenting on one post and responding to your attempts to insult me is not swinging on your nuts. Just make more sense when you post instead of rambling on and on.

9. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

Whatever dude, I was just trying to examine all the sides of the issue.

10. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

While I get what you're saying, I would say that you're overweighing the opt-out. That was done to bring players back to the table earlier. While I'd agree that this is the first time that it's possible that there could be no salary cap, I don't expect that to actually happen. A deal will get done at the final hour, just like always.

Teams like the colts and the patriots? That's just reducing your credibility. The colts do the same thing that we seem to be trying to do, building from within and locking up their own guys before they can hit the market. They're never big players in free agency. The Patriots have surprised a few people in the last few years with some big splashes, but originally that wasn't how they built your team. We've had years where we've made big signings. We got Hope and KVB in the same year. "Big Names" aren't good value. We've been making pretty solid moves for a couple of years now, I'm happy with what they're doing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar