Changing dynamics of the nfl??

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titansman1, Nov 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titansman1

Titansman1 Time To Start Crushing!

Did any of you guys see on the game last night where they were showing the stats on the leading rushing teams and all of them but the Saints have losing records (who are also ranked #1 in the passing game too though). The Jets also have a top ranked defense and are #1 in rushing but still have a losing record.

This leads me to ask, is the stingy defense, run the ball style of football not effective in today's NFL? I mean look at even the Steelers which had based their whole persona on that style of football over the years can now throw the ball down the field with the best of them and they now have a mediocre run game at best (but also have 2 SB rings since 2005). If that is the case then what does that say for our chances going forward with what we have and especially Vince since he'll never be able to be a QB that can throw the ball on a consistent basis if we have evolved to a "passers league"?

2. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

And we have one of the best passers of our era on the roster. And, that man has won college titles beyond your wildest beliefs.

Okay, my clear beliefs of our QB aside, this further proves my point. Many games between the best teams in this league come down to a final possession. You MUST have a quarterback who is capable of leading a team 80 yards (or 30 if you're playing Pats) for a game winning drive. Teams can load up the box and stop a run, the QB must be able to make plays (with his arm).

History, and current trends have proven this to be the case over and over and over and over. It's why heisman trophy candidates/winners IN COLLEGE can go UNDRAFTED in the NFL. It's because they don't have the ARM to play in a league where the QB must possess a highly skillful one.

3. Titansman1

Who is that because I know you're not talking about VY? Best passer of our era...come on what have you been smoking??

4. Titansman1

Ok, that makes more sense and exactly what I'm talking about, I don't think we have that "option" with either the QB or the receivers we have now (with the exception of Britt who I do thing will turn out to be a good receiver).

5. titansfan89

titansfan89 Starter

We're 3-0 and havent had over 300 yards passing in any of the games.

Whats your point? Seems like every thread lately is somehow criticizing Vince...it was old 2 weeks ago but now you're just beating a dead horse into the earth.

We dont need to make Vince be a pocket passer because thats not one of his strengths right now. Also, why should he throw it 35+ times a game when we have CJ in the backfield who can run across the field/make 5+ defenders miss and get a first down?

Options/screens/QB draws/rollouts are the best medicine for our offense because of VY/CJ. The occasional play action pass is nice and keeps the D honest. Quit saying how Vince will never be a QB that can lead us to the Super Bowl.

6. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

I'm forced to agree with you on this one. I'm a VY fan and even I wouldn't go that far...just yet.
    I have a feeling the deep passes are soon going to start connecting though. While Nate is supposed to be the deep threat, I see him hitting Britt on those more often for some reason.

7. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Let's first get a solid W against someone other than the dregs of The NFL before we crown Vince Super Bowl Messiah..

8. titansfan89

titansfan89 Starter

Thats not what Im saying.

Im not on the Vince bandwagon just yet and still feel he needs to prove himself (what he can do if a D stops CJ), but Im just tired of people still bad-mouthing him after getting us 3 straight wins.

Focus on the positives while he's winning and then critique him once we lose.

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Back on topic...

I think the passing teams always shine early in the season. The teams who can run the football emerge when it gets cold. This really was more the case when most teams played outdoors. But the best power-running teams with a strong defense always seem to rise to the top in January.

Teams like the Saints and Colts will pass the ball 65% of the time because their QBs are deadly accurate. But they also have pretty solid defenses and I suspect we'll see both lose a few later in the season if they can't get their ground games more productive.

I never see the NFL becoming a passing league where teams throw 75% of the time. Balance seems to be the key.

10. eds clothing

eds clothing Camp Fodder

I agree

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar