Cheap flights?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Mitch86, Apr 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

OK folks, I'm needing to fly from TN to CA (and right back to TN same day)... I've never been on a plane. Trying to figure out flights is stressing me the hell out. Anyone that fly's frequently have any tips or tricks for flying cheaper?

I can't understand how prices fluctuate so much. In no other industry do prices fluctuate sometimes hundreds of dollars depending on date or time etc for the same product/service.. It's ridiculous.

So far it's looking like it's going to cost me about $800 to fly myself to CA, pick up my daughter and fly us both back.

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

3. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

From your experience is there any difference in that and other travel sites like kayak.com etc? So far it seems to have the same things.

4. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

There's a song for this occasion

"It's cheaper to keep her"

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I've generally found cheaper prices in the past (haven't used it lately), but it also gives you different flight options.

There may be better options out there these days but I always use it as a starting point.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  6. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

OK thanks. I'll keep an eye on it. It's so frustrating trying to figure this all out.

7. LangeSohne

LangeSohne Starter

I usually use kayak.com. Prices are impossible to predict. It's like trying to time the stock market. Some people say buying tickets on a Sunday is cheaper since you aren't competing with business purchases. I dunno.

Also, watch out for prices that seem way cheaper than others and aren't from well-known airlines. They sometimes make up for their cheap fares by charging huge baggage fees. You should browse that airline's website and read their fees section.

Kayak has an option where you can pick flexible travel dates and then it'll show how prices change depending on the day you fly. That's helpful if your schedule is flexible.

Don't sweat it if you don't get the best deal. It's impossible to time it. I fly a couple times a year and get burned all the time.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  8. LangeSohne

LangeSohne Starter

Also, for what it's worth, $800 total for a round trip ticket for yourself and a one way ticket for your daughter between TN and CA sounds reasonable to me (I flew between TN and CA just last year).

9. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

Yeah, it's insane how the prices change. I've been looking over the past few months and it's up and down from day to day. I also have the problem of 2 airports pretty close to each other so I'm checking which is cheaper to fly in and out of etc.

I'm going to just have to bite the bullet and pick some flights that work for my schedule pretty soon before the prices skyrocket. It's going to be a costly ~12 hour trip no matter what I do.

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

How old is your daughter? She can't fly back by herself?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar