Chow Feeling Pressure to Live Up to Expectations

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jun 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I don't think Chow implied McNair did EVERYthing his way. He wasn't specific to what those areas were which is key to understanding whether it did or didn't impact the success of the offense any more than not having enough receiver talent, a running game, etc.

I think it was the Seahawk game where Chow put McNair back into the shotgun for most of the game. I remember at one point Chow saying he wanted to let McNair do what he did best and turned him loose.

To me, the Chow offense was almost anti-McNair. Back when the talk started about adding the three-step drops to protect McNair, it threw a red flag up for me because McNair has never been at his best standing in the pocket making pinpoint passes. It's just not his game.

From the sound of things, the entire Titans offense was designed to protect McNair. But I think that mindset actually worked against the success of an offense with few weapons and the teams best offensive weapon (McNair) by handcuffing him.

2. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Schwartz should just be fired period.

Munchak definatly lost the OL in 2005. They were abused all season long and not one of them dropped on the depth chart for their abysmal on field performance.

Washburn did well last season. The DL was the only strong unit on the D. in a 43 the LBs should be making the majority of the plays/tackles and the Titan LBs were just bad, and not 70s bad which was tough, but I digress. Washburn got a good year out of Haynesworth and KVB. Got about as much as possible out of Odom, Starks, Schoble, Laboy, Long and Clauss. No I would say Washburn did an excellent job last season. Too bad the LB/DB were doing a keystone kops impersonation all season.

3. Titansfan10

Titansfan10 Camp Fodder

A lot more options for Chow when we got this guy!
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tAtefwHbBBI"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tAtefwHbBBI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I think it was more that Chow was trying to keep McNair healthy, a futile thing to do because Mac gets hurt tripping his own feet and the fact Mac simply isn't a very good offensive weapon anymore. Mac has no wheels anymore and his arm strength and accuaracy don't seem to be the same as they were in 2003. Add in the fact that Mac seemed clueless when it came to running the offense and his total disregard for putting in whatever effort was needed to learn the offense and jell with the young WRs made for very bad situation. When the one guy who has to take a leadership role (the QB) is not willing to submit to the OC (doesn't matter who you are, that is your job) and put forth the effort a 10 million dollar a year employee should it will effect the whole team in a negative way. Think about the whole scenario. We have a brat vet who is pouting because he isn't getting his way, who is missing practices and playing poorly in games, (Volek is actually running the offense during the week) and imagine the whole demeaner of the offense.
    I remember going to practices and watching Kevin Carter working with the DL group. Carter was the first guy to arrive when the went from drill to drill and he was the first to get in line to do a drill. His enthusiasm was unbelievable for a guy with his status and salary. It definately rubbed off on the younger players. KVB is that kind of guy now. Thats the kind of enthusiasm I want to see from VY and the rest of the team. IMO we are much better off letting Mac leave and Chow's offense will benefit big time because of it. Note that the vets we signed are all the type of guys who will lead by example and will not be the examples we have had from certain others in the past.

5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Wow...I think I've heard everything.

The defense didn't have ENOUGH talent? You must be joking! Schwartz is far under-coaching his on-field talent.

Our FA signees are the only guys we have who lead by example...not like the guys we had in the past??? McNair led by example and did it very well for most of his career. If you don't like how last season worked out and his trade off the team...fine. But he was an excellent leader for most of his career...as was KC, EG, BB, and KB...not to mention KVB.

And BTW, Peyton Manning doesn't listen to his OC at all and they have a record setting offense. Doesn't sound like that is hurting their team, does it?

But in regards to Chow, there is always a speed bump making the transition from college to the pros as a coordinator. Spurrier - arguably one of the best modern day college coaches failed miserably...even after years in the NFL. So you expect there may be some strategic or tactical problems and considering McNair was our biggest weapon last year with a leaky OL, it's understandable why they reeled the offense in a bit to try and protect McNair.

As far as McNair making demands or whatever, I think any QB who has reached the level that McNair has, will be used to a few things. First, he will have input into any gameplan as he knows what plays he runs, knows and has the most success with. Second, he will influence to some extent the style of the offense. If he reads and is more comfortable in 5 step drops instead of 3, then it makes sense for everyone to impliment that. Third, in most instances McNair knows the defenses and their star players better than Chow would so he may exert some influence for that reason as well.

Chow is used to dealing with college kids who look up to him and hang onto everyword and don't question anything. It's a learning process for him too in that regard.

Short of Chow spelling out his problems with McNair in detail, it's impossible to know if this is a PR move so that he's basically deflecting some of the blame for the offenses failures onto McNair or whether he and McNair actually clashed significantly. Either way, it doesn't matter. Chow is here and McNair isn't. Chow has had his warmup year and it's time to produce! I don't want to see Chow next off-season explaining away offensive failure with...whenever you lose a player the caliber of Steve McNair, it's gonna hurt your offense...!!!

Gut

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

The difference in Mac and Manning is Manning is heading up a record setting offense and McNair was clueless most of the year. It is a lot easier to excuse a player's rebellious attitude when they are putting up HOF numbers. It was obvious that Mac was a terrible leader last year and it was also obvious he didn't put in any extra effort at all to get the offense in sync. All Mannning does is spend countless hours throwing passes to his WRs, studying game film and trying to become a better player. Mac threw in the towel last year and IMO we are no worse off without him. As far as the caliber of McNair only one team was even interested in him and that team had not just Boller but a parade of crap QBs over the last couple of decades so they picked Mac almost out of desperation. If they had any sense they would have used a draft pick on one and saved their money. When it is all said and done Mac will not get the media pass or the coaches pass he got here so he better bust his butt to succeed or ESPN will be having discussions about his inability to get it done this year as the Raven faithful vent their displeasure with the diminished QB play. There will not be anything politically correct about the bashing Mac will take this year if he comes with the same lousy attitude he had last year.

7. fltitan

fltitan Guest

I dont care for Schwartz and think he should have been fired but we started 2 rookies at the corners, didnt have a solid nickel back, had a safety and olb coming off acls that probably shouldnt have been on the field and Kassel at mlb. I agree with most of your post but just my opinion that wasnt a very talented defense. We have much more talent this year and if we are not a top 10 defense he should be fired.

8. Sledge

Sledge Guest

we have good TEs but come on Norm, 1) you need to spread the ball around more (WR, RB, FB) and you need integrate a few running plays. When you have Brown and Henry and now White, you can't pass 70% of the time... Pretty simple. Integrate your game plan around that and you should be OK...

9. Sledge

Sledge Guest

Freakin Niners go and pick Mike Nolan as their head coach. A frickin Raisin!! They should've taken Schwartz away and put us out of our misery!

10. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

it's not good to pass that much, but when your defense cant hold a lead, or even hold the other team's offense out fo the endzone every so often, you need to pass to score points.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar