Chow Praises Young as He Continues to Improve

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jun 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Alot of the discussion about young QBs centers on one main premise.
    Does playing a young QB cause or enhance his failure if the going is rough at the start assuming they start too early? Traditionally the thinking is that a perfectly good QB can get ruined by being thrown to the wolves too early.
    IMO this is non-sense and with very few exceptions does the QBs "lack of confidence" cause him to be a bust. Ryan Leaf was a bust no matter how he was going to be handled. Manning and Marino would have been just as successfull if they sat a year or two but would have lost a year or two on their careers needlessly sitting. Sitting a young QB is all about if they are ready based on their grasp of the offensive scheme and adjustment to the speed of the game. Basically getting on the field is part of the maturation process and the longer the team waits to put the player out there the longer it is going to be for that player to reach their full potential. Akili Smith wasn't a bust because he got thrown to the wolves too early. He was a bust, and still is because he is a bust. Smith could have sta on the sidelines until he was 30+ years old and still sucked. Either the QB has it or they don't.
    McNair was only a 70 rated QB after sitting for the most part of 2 years. Sitting might of helped him some but I would contend until he saw live action, was involved in being part of the game plan each week and such and making adjustments along the way Mac would have never matured as a QB. If Young sees the field this year we might not see a finished product but in no way to I think his is so fragile emotionally that mistakes made will ruin his career. On the contrary he will work harder to overcome those mistakes and when he gets comfortable with the speed of the game he will explode.

2. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

I have to agree with Soxcat

I don't think it makes much deference on wether a QB starts the first year or not. Don't get ne wrong, if he's not ready he shouldn't play. By not ready I mean emotionally, physically, and playbook savvy. With all the tricks QB's can use to remember plays like arm bands and in ear speakers I think that the playbook would be an easier problem to over come. If Volek starts losing games Young will get thrown in the fire if nothing else other than to give the coaching staff some breathing room for the season. At least if they're losing with a rookie QB they still have excuses. Volek will get his chance and my prediction is that it'll be short lived.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

There is absolutely no way anyone can know for sure whether or not early failure had a negative impact on a QB developing. There are too many intangibles involved.

But if you take the time to look back at history, you have a high bust rate for QBs entering the league. And the majority of them were thrown to the wolves their rookie season.

There is no question these guys come in under tremendous pressure to produce immediately. As in any career, some deal with it better than others. I don't think it is a stretch to think there is a risk in playing a QB too soon and damaging his confidence.

And you know this how?

If this was true, then every QB ever drafted in the first round would be the #1 when the season started.

Just your opinion. I'm sure there were other issues at play here but you can't make me believe failure doesn't have an impact on the development of a QB. There are just too many players deemed franchise QBs to bust and the majority have one thing in common -- they were put in the game before they were ready.

And he's the only talented QB to come in the game and have the desire to succeed? Though some players do much better handling the pressure, you don't know how Young will react until he is in that situation and has his confidence shaken.

So you are for starting Young in the season opener?

4. I also don't think starting too early crushes a rookie QB enough to destroy his career (though perhaps it can stunt him temporarily). Peyton Manning, Troy Aikman, John Elway, and Phil Simms all had poor rookie seasons (some moreso than others). They turned out pretty good.

I see no reason to expect that guys like Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, or Rick Mirer would have been anything other than busts had they sat out their rookie seasons.

I'm not saying that Young is necessarily ready to start now or that I'd want them to throw him out before he is. But I don't think doing so will kill his career.

5. TitanJeff

No, it doesn't guarantee anything either way. But I certainly think history tells us it can do more damage than good.

Here's an article about Carson Palmer and past problems the Bengals had with QB busts.

http://archive.sportingnews.com/nfl/articles/20030504/471993.html

6. It just tells me that Klingler and Akili Smith were busts. There isn't any reason to think that they would have been good simply because they sat for a year before starting.

7. TitanJeff

There is no way to know what would have happened if these guys would have sat the bench a season. Apparently, the Bengals thought keeping Palmer on the bench a season was a better option.

8. All I know is that there isn't any evidence that keeping a rookie QB off the field will make him into a better QB than he would be throwing him in early.

On the other hand, we have seen QBs who start as rookies, both successfully (Dan Marino) and badly (most everyone else), who turn out to be Pro Bowl quarterbacks.

It's not really something that can be proven, and perhaps each QB would react differently. But at least we know without any doubt that some QBs are good even if they were throw into the fire immediately.

9. TitanJeff

Hard evidence? No. But if you go back 15 years and look at those QBs who busted, almost all of them started early their rookie season. Is this just coincidence?

I ran the numbers back before the draft. I'll attempt the find the thread.

And Young might as well. So why does Fisher/Reese and other coaches not give their future franchise QBs valuable experience their rookies seasons by throwing them in by day one? I think it goes beyond the rookies not knowing the playbook.

Exactly. You don't know until it happens. Are we willing to risk it?

I can remember that some said Young would not be considered a NFL QB and would be drafted as a WR. Then it was talk about him sitting for TWO seasons to learn the game. Then it was sitting him for one. Now, as the #2, he has to be ready to step in and play immediately.

I want Young to be focusing on learning the game, not having to play it his rookie season. Though some QBs have handled both, history tells us many can't. Why risk it?

10. bulluck4dMVP

bulluck4dMVP Pro Bowler

Once TC and preseason are threw with, then i'll speak on this topic of discussion.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar