Chow thinks Schwartz is terrible too

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Brian, Jan 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

schwartz had the personel to be aggressive when we had rolle and dyson in the secondary, but we still played his cover none zone.

i dont think he was addressing schwartz specifically, but he was definitely pointing out he would like to call plays against his type of d.

2. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Because being agressive might make us the 33rd worst defense? What is he waiting for. It doesn't get any worse. Try it.

3. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Worst. Debate. Ever.

Attached Files:

4. well i wonder if fisher feels the same way about how passive the d is

5. Vince10

Vince10 Camp Fodder

Schwartz did not have the personnel to be aggressive. This is 100% true. He also did not have the personnel to run a base defense with much success. That is also true. I think he felt that his best shot was to clamp down and hope for a penalty or mistake. I dont think he did a good coaching job, but I am not as hard on him as some people here. Our mixture of talent and experience on defense is really poor. Our DTs dont control the LOS or eat up doubleteams, our LBs flow poorly, even when their lanes are somewhat clear. Hope is the only real hitter. Our DEs dont rush the passer well on the whole, Reynaldo tries his best but cannot cover 1v1, LT is a buffoon. The list goes on and on. I simply cannot think of a scheme that would work. We dont have any intimidating blitzers, and we have several liabilities in coverage that QBs can exploit quickly if left on their own. A simple fade to Reynaldo's man would be an unstoppable play without safety support.

It was significant to me that the defense did a better job in crucial situations once the team started winning. Their effort against the Jags in Nashville was heroic. They were completely overmatched, yet never gave up. Early in the season, they would have, no doubt. The defense without a doubt needed a change in leadership, b/c Schwartz had lost credibility with the players. Now that might be less true (though perhaps we still need to change).

Since I take it as a given he is back next year, it will be interesting to see how (hopefully) improved personnel and better attitude will change his performance.

As to Chow, I hope he sticks around. His schemes are fine, and his record with teaching QBs (in college, granted) is unparalleled. He did show uncertainty in how to use Vince (I think everyone does at first), but he is smart and can adapt. The only question is whether he wants to, as his interest in Zona could be because he sees great potential for *his* offense working to perfection there. He wouldnt have to give Fisher the power running he wants and Vince the freedom to create that he needs. It is true that a lot of our offensive success was due to Vince's creativity, but that is because Vince has never been the trigger man for a complex offensive scheme. It is questionable whether it is a good idea to ask him to do it at all. I think Chow, if he stays, will see that and adapt.

6. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

Can we hire the broncos DC who was just fired they had some good D's....better than 32 anyway.

7. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

lmao @ the thought that schwartz doesn't have the personnel to be aggressive. Talk about making excuses for the guy...

8. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

whoa...headache setting in....

9. I'm all for an aggressive defense, but we don't have the defensive talent to play that system. If we played too aggressively, we'd just be leaving Hill and Thompson to get beat deep that much more often.

If you want to see what happens to a defense that tries to play more aggressively than their players are capable of (successfully, anyway), check out Washington's defensive stats this year under Gregg Williams (NFL's fewest sacks and INTs, most TD passes allowed, worst combined passer rating allowed)...

10. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

better than our drop 7 seven zone :hmm:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar