Chris Conley

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Carp, Mar 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carp

Carp Starter

Any reason why this guy isn't getting more coverage? He obliterated the combine. He broke the WR record for both vertical leap and broad jump. He also ran a sub 4.40 Forty yard dash. And has great size as well at 6'2. Those numbers are crazy good.

I know combine numbers don't automatically translate to NFL success, but this guy is currently being graded as a mid to late round pick??? I'm not a UGA fan, so I don't know much about him, but it's strange to see an SEC player with so much physical talent be rated so low by draft experts.

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well, the problem with running around in gym shorts is they pay you to play football. Based on his production, he's probably on the bubble to be drafted at all. 36 catches in college is not good when you play every game plus a bowl game.

Contrast that with a WR who compares physically at the combine in Kevin White. While KW runs only like 5 routes at WR, he was a dominant WR. He had 109 catches and over 1400yds and 10 TD's. Conley had 36 catches for 657yds. White had 10 TD's, Conley had 8 (which is excellent considering his mere 36 catches). But KW had 100+yds in 9 games (and over 200yds in 1 game), Conley had 1. KW had 7 or more catches in 9 of his games (and 10+ in 5 games). Conley had a season high of 5 catches in 1 game.

Conley will catch some slack for georgia being a run first team, but he still should have put up bigger numbers...especially since we now know how MUCH faster and quicker and higher he can jump than the competition. So the eye popping combine numbers will get people to take a closer look (and I believe seriously boost his value), but people will go back to the tape asking WHY didn't he produce more.

I think on pure athleticism, someone will take him in rnd 3-4. If this class wasn't so loaded he might have been a 2nd rnd pick. People like the Titans tend to jump after super athletic guys.

At the same time, there are other burners in this class too like Dorsett and DSmith. Because there are so many WR's in this class, what his value is does not always translate into where he gets drafted because he will be viewed purely as a burner/athlete. Teams looking for a more balanced WR, possession wr or someone who runs better routes and is not so speculative may go ahead of him.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. ncaalover12

ncaalover12 Starter

Chris Henry agrees with your assessment

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

I'm a huge SEC fan and don't ever remember hearing this guys name until the combine. The lack of production is scary, especially when the guy has played with the physical traits he has shown since and hasn't been more successful.

There is an exception to the lack of production rule in my opinion, and that's if the player played in a system that didn't utilize him. Not sure if that's Conley's story or not. But there is a WR I have come to love who doesn't have much production, and that's because he played at GA Tech, who run the triple option. His name is Darren Waller, 6'6, 238, 4.46 40 yard dash time. This dude could be a steal. He's built like Megatron and caught everything thrown his way. He just didn't get many opportunities because he played on a predominately running team.

5. Aqutis30

Aqutis30 Do you mind - NOT being a Motaur?

Nobody knows who the f$%^& this guy is.

/thread

6. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

I am probably the biggest UGA fan here, and before Murray left, expectations were very high for Conley.

Instead, Mason was even more disappointing than initially thought and Gurley and Chubb had HUGE seasons. Big enough that throwing the ball with Mason wasn't needed, almost at all.

Everyone is going to look at his production and write him off, and that is pretty short sighted. I will be honest, I was surprised by his combine performance, I always thought he was a bit slower but with good hands and route running.

I think he would be a good pickup in the late third or later rounds. Like many players with less than great QBs in college, hard to tell what you are going to get.

7. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

The dude is smart and a hard worker. I think he is a big time sleeper. They raved about him in the senior bowl/all star game season. I remember watching games where he was uncoverable and made huge plays in the 1st quarter and then they never looked his way again.

8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Speaking of the underrated WR, you guys see his student film?

IDK why but Im not excited about drafting another WR, but if we waited and took Conley Id be fine with it. First and most important thing as a WR is can you catch, and Conley can, so he's ok in my book.

9. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Good question. You can point to his number of receptions, but then Devin Smith is considered a top pick at the WR position with similar numbers and Ohio passed the ball about 20-25% more than Georgia.

If anything I would say he could get more physical and his COD speed isn't great.

10. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

He's a sleeper but I still wouldn't expect all that much from him. The UGA passing game was less than impressive and they lean on their run game heavily. Considering the Dawgs aren't a pass happy team and would rather wear down a defense with physical play, that's why Conley didn't have great production. FWIW he was a big name when he signed with UGA, production just didn't match. Definitely has talent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar