Chris Henry fumbles the ball

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by ONUV, May 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Anyone else impressed with how lean Crumpler looks in that shot?

I was concerned his weight may have ballooned, but he looks to be in great shape.

2. Alpha-Centuri

Alpha-Centuri Starter

I'm not sure if you got the point of my post. My point is that he needs a good camp because he is already the underdog to get anything other than ST plays in. His value then proceeds to go down.

Highest td-to carries ratio ---

Rush 31
    YDS 119
    TDS 2

15.5 carries per touchdown

Right up there with Cleo Lemon, at

Rush 31
    Yds 102
    TDS 4 --- 7.75 carries per TD

and Reuben Droughns, at

Rush 85
    Yds 275
    TDS 6 --- 14.17 carries per TD.

--------

Point is, that stat isn't all that impressive. Technically it's a stat that he is better in than almost every player, but does it really matter? no.

I also notice that the players that tend to have the least amount of carries excel in that stat. Maybe just a coincidence.

3. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

Like a stat like average INT return yardage. Guys with a small sample size who happened to excel get rediculouly high average. Like a benchwarmer who bats once, gets a hit, and a batting average of a 1000%.

4. Alpha-Centuri

Alpha-Centuri Starter

exactly vslyke..

I forgot to even comment on the you're pass protection comment nine

Uh.. Not only was he not HIGHLY effective in the passing game with his 6 catches for 53 yards on the season, he showed he couldn't really block either.

I'm all for one to improve on their mistakes and what not, but please don't try and slice this guy as anything that has to do with productive or highly effective.

He got hit really hard. And got up. That's just about the epitome of his contribution.

5. Nine

Nine Starter

Couldn't block? I assume you're talking about the Harrison sack in the Patriots' preseason game....because aside from that, I don't remember another blown blocking assignment from Henry.

As far as Henry's involvement in the passing game, he was highly effective....when given the opportunity. As a receiver, Henry repeatedly demonstrated the ability to make defenders miss and pick up an extra 5-10 yards, and only one of his receptions went for less than 6 yards.

Unfortunately, Norm Chow failed to recognize Henry's strength in this area, and failed to call plays that capitalized on it. (Not that this is any surprise; Chow pretty much painted every skilled position with a single brush, with little regard to players' individual strengths.)

Whether Chris Henry will ever develop into a solid every-down RB, I have no idea. It doesn't look too good so far. But he's already demonstrated the ability to be a solid 3rd down back. (A role that didn't even exist in Norm Chow's philosphy). Even if that ends up being Henry's primary role....as long as he does it well, then the offense as a whole benefits.

Oh, and as far as the numbers go....in addition to his two TD's, Henry also had two carries of 20+ yards.....and yes, he's among the best in the league in that category, as well. I'm not suggesting that this guy is the second coming of Jim Brown, or even a stud #1 prospect; I'm simply trying to illustrate that he DOES have value and the ability to be a productive player, and not at all the useless POS that people would have us believe.

6. Alpha-Centuri

Alpha-Centuri Starter

I don't want to sound like a broken record, so i'll try and rephrase. He was not "highly effective" in the passing game. He had 6 catches for 53 yards. You can't base anything off of 6 catches for the entire year unless those 6 catches went for 4 touchdowns and 6 first downs or something.

???. its 6 catches. I can't emphasize that anymore. It's not even that great of yard per catch. 8.3 yards. 0 tds recieving too.

I can agree with you here. He wasn't that good of a coach for the team.

On a side note, what do you believe Henry's strengths are?

I don't feel like looking up other backs' 20+ yard carries, so i'll take your word for it. If his sample size of carries were bigger, that would be absolutely wonderful. I think vslyke's analogy still holds true. There are several people for their entire career in the MLB that batted 1000.

What do you think people would have us believe? That he didn't produce very much in his rookie year? He proved that himself. I don't think he was that good. On top of that, he was suspended for 4 games too.

I don't have any live footage to watch of Henry blocking, other than remembering a couple whiffs in the oakland game. So you got me there.

Bottom line: Chris Henry didn't show much his rookie year; quite a few rookies don't. He can improve, but I ask everyone not overlook the huge flaws (patience, vision) he had in his game simply because he has p... ppp... potential (I hate that word, used wayyy too much.)

7. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

[​IMG]

8. Tackhead #9

Tackhead #9 Harder, better, faster, stronger

It's a real-life Madden glitch! I hate it when the ball ends up in some random place or Vince Young decides to go invisible...

9. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Henry is a top NFL 3rd back? That's news to me....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar