Chris Johnson in the slot

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Psychop1, Sep 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

I hear where you are coming from, Roll. But we run a whole lot of single back sets with either two tight ends or three wide receivers. Why not put Johnson in the slot in the three wide receiver set to make them choose between defending Johnson or defending White. Or if we went to the 'Gun with three receivers and two backs, and put both running backs in? That way they have to deal with either Johnson's speed or LenDale's power in the same set. That would be good personel for the read-option stuff we've tried the last couple years.

I hadn't even thought of it, but that might be the best point of all.

2. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

I feel like we've had this discussion.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

No he is NOT a better WR than a guy like brandon jones who would normally be in the slot. That's insane!

He had serveral drops this preseason alone. This is not high school just being fast doesn't make someone a damn WR!!!

Jerome mathis IS a WR with comparable speed to CJ and he has been a non producer.

CJ has shown to be CAPABLE catching typical RB type passes. He has shown no indication he can run Wr type routes and make the tough catch in traffic.

Yes traffic! A RB normally gets the ball on short passes where he can square his shoulders to the defense and at least for a split second see what is in front of him. The passes are short easy to catch balls around shoulder high.

At WR you often can't see the defenders around you and are being hit as you catch the ball. Catching passes in the open field means reach out and up for balls requiring much better hands.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Maybe it is my imagination but the last 2 seasons and all of this preseason we have been a power running game with a FB lead blocking. What has changed the most this year is that now we have 2 good TEs not one. Troupe wasn't relaiable enough to get on the field but now we have 2 reliable guys.

Our main goal on offense has to be keeping our third downs to the least yardage possible.

We don't have rich gannon circa 2002. We don't have drew brees and marcus colston on this team either. We are a run oriented team and playing a RB out of position like a WR or a RB like a Fb on a regular basis is dumb.

Has a single poster even considered the remote possibility that our opponent might use a zone defense againt us? Especially with CJ in there? All this drivel about matchups and they can just play a zone.

5. You make it sound like he'll be lined up in the slot on every play...

You can bet that defenses will use zone against us. In fact, I'd think we'll see a lot of that because Vince is such a threat to run. But that still doesn't change the fact that a defense will have to adjust when Johnson lines up in the slot.

6. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

What the hell has Brandon Jones done that makes him a good receiver??? Why is it crazy???

Where's the thread that was posted not long ago about all the balls our WR's dropped this preseason alone???

7. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

Pacman Jones wasn't a WR either, but with our EXTREMELY talented group of WR's (that included Brandon Jones, by the way), he made his way into the slot from time to time. Why??? Because he was dangerous when he had the ball in his hands. He was a homerun threat, evidenced by his special teams play. He was a guy the defense would have to account for, and he kept defenses off-balanced.

CJ could be even more effective in this role, because he can be motioned out of the backfield into the slot. I'm not saying he will definitely be an effective WR, just that he will keep defenses off balanced, and YES, he probably IS better than some of the WR's on our squad.

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Pacman jones was here 2 seasons and probably played 5-6 plays as a WR.

A meaningless example!

Bottom line is that brandon jones is a better WR than chris johnson. So probably is chris davis and paul williams. This is the nfl not high school.

I assumed that this discussion was about using CJ in the slot a significant amount of time as a regular part of our offense. WTF does pacman jones have to do with that?

Pacman was in on a few speciality plays, That has nothing to do with this discussion! What makes this example an even worse one is that pacman ran the ball on reverse type plays when he handled the ball and was NEVER, EVER a downfield pass receiving threat.

9. Alpha-Centuri

Alpha-Centuri Starter

well.. i did mention reverses in one of the posts... but i guess thats not important.

Pac opened up the field though didn't he? Thats what many are saying... The Titans can use him in the slot, because simply with his speed, defenses will have to account for him. (BTW, he tends to have good hands, so its not really like he's going to drop every single pass thrown from the slot)

BJ is a better reciever than Johnson... He better be, thats his job. But Johnson can be used like how Bush was his first season. If CJ puts up 2006 version of Bush numbers with a higher ypc, I'd be content.

10. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

CJ is a RB that has great pass catching ability. But he is not a WR. He will not be effective in anything other than short routes, dump-offs, and screens. And that's all he needs to be. His pass catching skills are being blown out of proportion, IMO.

Throw me into the "shocked" category if CJ ever catches a 15 yard dig or any route of that magnitude.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar