Chris Johnson in the slot

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Psychop1, Sep 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

I disagree, I think CJ needs to be more then just a scat back. I feel he needs to be a "Do It All" player who holds the ability to line up in the slot and take some of the pressure off Young/White/etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if we sent him deep at some point down the line.

2. Johnson is possibly the fastest player in the NFL. I think you can bet on them throwing the ball deep to him at some point. Especially if they get him lined up against some LB.

And he lined up in the slot in college, so running routes isn't new to him. We'll have to see how good he is, but you can guarantee that he'll get some snaps there.

3. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

I'm not arguing that he won't be lined up in the slot. He most defintely will be, but I don't see him being much of a threat in terms of running longer routes. Slants, hitches, curls, and drags will be his main routes I think. And just because he is fast doesn't mean he can adjust to deep balls. He could, but I don't see it. People thinking we're getting a Steve Smith that can also line up in the backfield and run the ball need to tone down their expectations a bit.

He will be very effective in the passing game, but he's not an experienced deep ball receiver. I'm sure they will try to send him deep a few times, and it may work some but I don't see it being an overly consistent thing.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

AGAIN, outside of Gage and McCareins, what has ANY of our WR's done to prove that they are better at that position than CJ??? I'm not even saying CJ is better than any of them, just that they have been an unimpressive group thus far.

Also, I never said that CJ is going to be effective in the slot, only that he's a homerun threat that always has to be accounted for when he's on the field no matter what position he's playing. That actually makes Pacman a perfect example, considering he had the same reputation and was also worked into the lineup on occasion. Oh, by the way, the ball wasn't thrown his way every time he lined up in the slot, but he did have a couple receptions out of the slot. Him drawing coverage away from the play is the point on most plays anyway. You downplaying a previous homerun threat playing in the slot on occasion doesn't make it any less significant. I never intended to imply that CJ will be THE slot receiver.

The POINT of this thread was that we never did see CJ line up in the slot during preseason, but it still gets mentioned in articles. Like a secret weapon of sorts, right in there with ST fakes (though we did get to see Fuller run one in on a punt fake), perhaps the coaching staff didn't want to tip their hand on some effective plays. Otherwise, why do we still read about Chris Johnson being effective in the slot, such as in the article I referenced in my original post in this thread???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar