Chris Johnson says he wants the Titans to make him at least the highest paid RB.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by jessestylex, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

OOHHHHH no don't say such things.

Deuce you're so so ridiculous for that. C.J. isn't as dumb as you think.

2. el_darax

el_darax Camp Fodder

Unlike Al I don't see him slacking off after a payday. Not sayin' he's worth 100 mil (not even Melon-head is worth that), but I don't see anything wrong with putting a couple "incentives" to blow crap up on his future contracts........

He should stay at current tho (would just be smart business by the Titans).

But I think they need to eventually start making him happy (also smart business by the Titans). This is a once a blue moon type of player, people.

3. karmarouge

karmarouge Camp Fodder

I have to laugh at many of my fellow titans fans. Time and time again you dont disappoint when it come to show casing true born and bred small time small town mentality.

There are few posters on this forum who have actually bashed that CJ 2k record. (Actually i think i may be the only one). I have bashed it so many times some have even accused me of being a CJ hater and a Lendale white kisser:moon2:.

So when i do say that CJ is indeed worth 100 million, i gotta get some lee way being that i one of the few people who have apparently "bashed" CJ on this forum. (I used quotations there because I really didnt bash him but yet i dont have much time to rehash exactly what i said that was taken out of context)

See this is the exact same nonsense we heard out of people when AH was out fishing for a contract. Too bad at that time i wasnt posting here. But back then, even before we made the play offs, I knew that AH was gonna sign the biggest contract ever at his position. And I did tell my friends it would be JErry Jones at over 100 million. (REally no point in bragging about that, even Deione Sanders made the same prediction practically every other game the titans played that year during gameday on NFL network)

So hear we are again. Another once in a life time true game breaker that could possibly help bring a superbowl to the titans (only if Jeff Fisher is fired first though....dont get carried away) and what to the small mind small town fans come out with?

"aw here we go again, he is killin' team chemwisty" "oh noes, the skies are a fallin' CJ done tuwrnd in ta' Fat Albert".. Some guy from Michigan who i normally agree with on topics even has the gall to run his mouth talking about CJ's mental capabilities based on his speech pattern. (typical carpet baggin yankees always looking down their noses and folks who talk differently.)

One has to wonder, if he aint that smart but he is making more money in a year than you will probably make in your life time, who is smarter? you who pays for the ticket or the guy who takes your ticket money and buys that new set of rims for his custom made BMW..(yeah you know the one i am talking about, its obvious you spend more time reading his twits than is healthy for any grown man)

I say this emphatically, get rid of freakin Donnie Nickey, over priced Jeff Fisher, Alan Lowry and that newly signed running backs coach, and sign that man for 100 million!

Other wise folks.. SHUT THE HELL UP AND GO ROOT FOR THE RAIDERS..um actually i take that back. Even the raiders arent as cheap and conceited as some of you would have the titans be. I think you would have to go right beneath the barrel and root for the Mahoning Valley Hitmen. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahoning_Valley_Hitmen

Your fair weather, naive fan attitude that to this point doesnt understand the business side of the game will probably be appreciated there.:moon2:

4. karmarouge

karmarouge Camp Fodder

i forgot to say one thing. you are smoking crack if you think CJ wont sign the biggest contract for a RB, Or QB whenever his contract is up... Now for the few realistic people out there that understand the business nature of football, this means CJ WILL NOT BE A TITAN WHEN HIS CONTRACT IS UP! (This assuming of course he doesnt suffer some kind of injury that sets him back)

I am taking bets people. (You might luck out and win something, the titans being who they are will probably bench CJ for the next two years hopping to drive his market price down.. They will have to start early because CJ is obviously more famous than LW)

5. cdubbs2121

cdubbs2121 Pro Bowler

what exactly is your point? I cant really take anything you say with any credibility as a sports fan and such a dedicated titans fan after you bashed the CJ record and said we would have gotten more wins giving lendale the ball. Your wrong. PERIOD. Watch Lendale's carries this season. Watch the NE game. You whine about Lendale over CJ then say CJ deserves the biggest RB contract so pick a side and stick with it. Either you want to make CJ the best paid running back and OBVIOUSLY get the dominant amount of carries or you want him to split carries with another back and half his impact on the offense.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Interesting info about new contracts in an uncapped year. I wasn't aware of this stuff.

(If the embed below doesn't work, here's the link: http://espn.go.com/blog/sportscenter/post/_/id/28864/adam-schefters-super-wednesday-extra-points )

<object width="384" height="216" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" id="ESPN_VIDEO" data="http://espn.go.com/videohub/player/embed.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowNetworking="all"><param name="movie" value="http://espn.go.com/videohub/player/embed.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="opaque"/><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/><param name="allowNetworking" value="all"/><param name="flashVars" value="id=4882792"/></object>

7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

8. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I'm kind of amazed by some of this discussion. The Titans have come into the amazing luck (or have made a great decision) that resulted in us having an amazing player for an amazingly low price. What's more, we've got him signed to a contract for three more seasons. Why in the world would the team want to rip up a contract that's incredibly favorable to them, and also helps them competitively by letting them spend more money on other positions to make the overall team better? The one reason is to make sure that CJ is happy and keeps playing for us at his highest ability level. However, he's not even talking about a holdout, and his agent isn't saying anything disruptive, so what incentive do we possibly have to change his contract right now?

I agree, out of fairness, and, as mentioned above, a desire to keep him here and keep him happy, the team will probably want to extend his contract and up his pay significantly before it's up, but it certainly shouldn't be now.

Some players get paid far more than their worth (see any bust from the first half of the first round). Some players get injured and get to keep their huge bonuses without the team getting any value for them. Some players agree to a contract, and then later end up in a position where they could be making much more. That's how pro football works. As a fan of the team, I want the Titans to take advantage of getting value out of players where they can, and spend money smartly to keep the team as competitive as possible.

Individual players make all kinds of decisions about the contracts they sign. Finnegan went ahead and signed a new contract early, when he could have gotten significantly more a year later. Why? Because he was able to be financially secure for life in his early 20s, and was able to eliminate the risk of getting injured and never making much money. If things go well for him for the next three years, he'll get another, even larger contract.

CJ got slotted because of the draft. That's how it works for players coming out of college. If you're drafted high, you're guaranteed to make a lot of money, whether or not you end up with a career in the NFL. Let's not forget that 12 million was a lot to commit to someone who never played a down in the NFL. He could have been a Chris Henry-ish level bust, and he still would have gotten most of his contract.

Teams and players both have difficult decisions to make, and risks and rewards to balance. It's difficult to say what the best outcomes can be for each side, especially since they have opposing interests. For years, the Eagles were looked at as a brilliant cap management team because they extended the contracts of their young, solid players very early, before they got close to the end of their contracts. However, over the last couple of years they've had several of those very same players unhappy because what seemed like a great deal when they signed it turned out to be worth less than their market value once they got a few years into the contract. What looked good for both sides early on ended up creating problems.

Personally, I think NFL contracts and the way different players and teams make their decisions are fascinating. There's a lot of logic to a lot of different strategic choices. However, I can't see ANY rationalization for a team tearing up CJ's contract after two years and making him the highest paid RB in football starting next season. It would be an incredibly bad decision for the team.

• High Five High Five x 3
  9. madison

madison Camp Fodder

Good info! It will be interesting to say the least he does deserve a new deal and I don't see the titans making him the highest paid RB. Are we keeping Lendale?

10. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Would it be possible to major frontload the contract to reduce cap hit in future seasons, assuming their is a salary cap after 2010?

Otherwise, no. CJ must play the contract he signed or sit out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar