Chris Johnson says he wants the Titans to make him at least the highest paid RB.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by jessestylex, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

Here's the point many are missing. CJ signed a five year contract. If he thought he would be worth more in two or three seasons, he should have angled for a 3 year deal. He should fire his agent.

2. karmarouge

karmarouge Camp Fodder

What am i saying? Ok bro i will spell it out for ya..(and folks dont even say i am not generous) PAY THE MAN!...

Your comments seem to show a rather brazen disregard for facts (as i did actually caution that i am not against CJ as people wrongly accused me.)

I know CJ's worth he should get paid. however if you are gonna showcase this nonsensical run CJ every down for 360 carries then screw it you might as well pack it in!

You say i am wrong about lendale white redzone carries (which is all i ever argue for) the evidence bares me out. And the records simply prove you wrong.

2008 with lendale playing the same role i was advocating for, our redzone efficiency was far far better than when CJ carried it. Need i even waste my time talking about how we made the play offs in 2008 and we are now sitting at home watching other teams?

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I'd look at doing a new deal ONLY if this kept him a Titan for the next six or seven seasons. Get a big chunk of the guaranteed money paid in an uncapped season. Back load this thing so he can be released if he starts to decline in the final seasons of the deal.

Problem is, it's a tough time to be doing this. I don't see how it can be done when the CBA is still uncertain and there might be a lockout in '11.

4. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

According to the Schefter vid I posted, that isn't possible. CJ's contract can only increase by 30% in an uncapped year, which amounts about $500,000 next season (which is roughly what he is going to get anyhow).

Maybe I'm missing something here, but it sounds like a new deal just isn't going to happen.

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I hadn't heard that. If it's only 30%, then I wonder if they could structure this so that he gets the 30% next season but it then kicks up in '11.

Most players are all about guaranteed money. It may not matter what he makes in '10 but what he'll make after. Having '11 uncertain makes it even more complicated because the new CBA (assuming it's settled) might have different restrictions.

6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Do people honestly believe the biggest thing after Disney wont be around in 2011? The NFL is a lot of work to keep going, but its the most important thing to most people. There's no way the NFL stunts their growth by missing a season. I'd expect the Government to fall apart before there's a fall without the NFL.

7. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Even though it's very unlikely that there will be a work stoppage, until a new CBA is worked out, 2011 is a big question mark that is going to keep teams from committing large chunks of money to anyone. They don't know if there will be a cap, and if so, if it will be smaller, bigger, or roughly the same. So many things are up in the air that teams cannot predict how their spending may or may not need to be adjusted. People don't commit millions for an uncertain future. At least not the ones who want to keep making money.

8. GoTitans3801

To be fair, he really didn't have any bargaining power there. The top half of the first round signs mostly six year contracts. The bottom half of the first round signs almost exclusively five year contracts. Round two picks sign four year contracts. Everyone else in the draft gets a three year contract. It's pretty slotted, so there isn't much room to wiggle on. Part of the reason a 1st round pick is so valuable is that you get to lock down a player for five or six years, and one who should be a key player for your franchise. In my opinion, that's why the second half of the first round is much more valuable than the top half. You get very good players for five years at a very low price, provided that they turn out to be decent players. Griffen, Johnson, and Britt are all great values.

9. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

Oh, I see. Well, what's he whining about then? And, where does one find this information?

10. GoTitans3801

He's whining because he's outplayed his contract, and he knows it. He also knows how valuable he's going to be to the Titans. You'll notice that he isn't pressing hard for a new contract. His agent has been very conservative with what he's said. Actually, the fans on here are pushing much harder for him. That's what makes it a good strategy, actually.

I doubt he expects to get anything done until after next season. The Titans certainly shouldn't consider doing anything to change it until then.

I learned a lot of this stuff in sports agency law, or at least, I learned about it in a lot more detail. It's out there in bits and pieces, but a lot of information is pretty restricted. Sports agents like to keep the practical aspects of their business to themselves in general. If I remember, I'll pull up some of the old links I had to the collective bargaining agreement and various rules pages that are pretty interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar