Chris Johnson vs. Chris Henry

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Alpha-Centuri, Apr 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

Ummm, did any of you watch the vids that Alpha-Centuri put up on the first post in this thread? Click on the longer video. This cat is a burner. I'm damn impressed. Not only does he look like a decent back, he'll probably make everyone forget about the return skills of Pacman or Devin Hester.

I think this will turn out to be a great pick. In the Reggie Bush, Brian Westbrook style. We don't need a primadonna #1 wide out, when McNabb (pre-TO) was healthy they did just fine with Westy and Staley. Our current guys can catch the ball and move the chains. Now we have TE's and a slot guy for red zone plays. That is where we suffered the most last year. As someone mentioned earlier, CJ can do things like Bush did at USC.

2. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

Jamaal Charles has serious questions surrounding his intelligence. Steve Slaton is considered a product of the spread offense and isn't exactly the playmaker that we were looking for. I'm glad Slaton went to Houston so we can smash his overrated *** twice a year.

I don't think the CJ pick was based on his 40 time alone. It was based on his ability to do EVERYTHING, and score on any given play. I don't see why people can't understand that. He will be used out of the backfield and split out wide, not to mention in the return game. Everyone you mentioned in your argument were pure RB's except for Westbrook. Comparing him to a pure runner is absurd to begin with. If you think CJ is a pure RB then you've been misinformed. Also, if we were looking for a pure runner then CJ wouldn't have been the pick. We would have either traded up for Mendenhall, or waited for Rice/Forte in the 2nd. CJ had a late first/early second round grade. Just because Kiper and Scott Wright didn't think so, doesn't mean it's true. He would have been taken by San Diego at 27, guarantee it.

Our offense needed help NOW, and typically WR's don't help right away (unless you're Bowe or Moss). We got what we needed. If he stays healthy, which is my major concern with him, he will be a VERY good player. All he needs is a small crease and he's taking it for 6. Have the Titans ever had a player like that?

3. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

I'm thinkin' CJ is the next Marshall Faulk. Who's with me?

• Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  4. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

Just from what I've learned about him the last 2 days, I'm onboard. He's a little smallish (180 lbs), but he can put on 10-15 lbs. in a jiffy (Bush did). I remember watching Faulk in college (SD State) and his early days with Indy thinking that he had toothpick legs. No way was he going to be able to handle the NFL. I think he did OK.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Dangermode..

We wouldn't have drafted marshal faulk with that 24th pick. Too slow. We wouldn't have taken emitt smith even in round 2 based on his timed speed.

Frankly i don't give a damn how a guy looks in a highlight video. What about the fact he had more games with a sub 4.0 ypc than games when he was over that? What about the fact his entire career prior to 2007 was average even for a conference USA back?

He had a game against the mighty rice owls where he had 3 yards on 12 carries. Rice that year gave up 5.4 yards a carry to all the other backs they faced but .25 yards per carry to the great explosive chris johnson.

How many times have we seen these incredibly fast explosive studs come from college only to lay a giant turd on the field? Does johnson's highlight package compare to reggie bush's? Because the explosive 4.33 bush wasn't even as explosive as lendale white last year.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

One more thing. Why in the hell is chris henry still a tennessee titan? If they believed so little in him the dimwits should have traded him if even for a 5th rd pick. Why pay a guy $2M a year if he is just going to watch the games on tv?

7. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

8. Alpha-Centuri

Alpha-Centuri Starter

even better though chapparal, Chris Johnson was actually listed at 200 in college, and weighed in at the combine at 197. I think you are right that he could probably add another 10 or 15 pounds to say, 215, and not really be affected in his skill-set.

215, with his skill-set seems dangerous to me. :))

9. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Russ Lande, an NFL analyst for The Sporting News, said he thinks Johnson has a chance to be a special player, but was concerned by something he saw when watching practices for the Senior Bowl, a major pre-draft showcase in January.

Lande said he and a friend in the business “looked at each other on the last day and said, ‘Can you believe how ordinary Chris Johnson looked once he was playing with all these big-timers?’

“You didn’t even know he was there, and that was kind of frightening,” Lande added. “But at the NFL Combine (in February) he was unbelievable, and at his workouts he was great. On film, it’s wow! But that one week he didn’t do anything to catch your attention. So it makes you think.’’

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080428/SPORTS0103/80428103/1027/SPORTS01

10. Alpha-Centuri

Alpha-Centuri Starter

Very interesting, I didn't see too many of the practices. But hey, not everyone has a good senior bowl. We'll see.

I like this little blurb from the same source though.

Sounds like some "experts" like it too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar