Chris Johnson

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Ubiq, Feb 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

Still doesn't prove that the guy can't be effective between the tackles. He's almost the exact same size as Jerious Norwood, who has been very effective when given the opportunity. I'm more concerned about his ability to stay healthy to be honest.

Assuming that Sweed and Groves are not on the board, I think Johnson will be our pick. May be a reach but if we want him, we'll have to take him at #24 or trade up in the second.

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

don't think it has anything to do with size. warrick dunn is one of the smallest guys to start at RB in the past 15 years and runs between the tackles just fine, it's all about attitude and johnson doesn't have it.

johnson has the same frame of mind as reggie bush, who refuses to stick his head into a pile and get the three yards that are there.

3. You don't take a scatback in the first round. Mid-second sounds about right. KR/PR material.

4. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

Beware, sprinters can put on helmets too.

I don't say this as a joke, since I realize that he had a pretty remarkable year... albeit for a school that has never seen a talented team. His previous three seasons, he averaged 4 ypc and has durability concerns. Case closed (for the Titans, at least).

5. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

Al Davis will take a flier
    so might Jerry Jones

he's their kind of guy

6. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

Case closed based on durability maybe, but surely not production. Chris Henry produced about as much as the band's tuba player while at Arizona and we still took him.

I have concerns about his durability as well. If we don't have another back signed by draft day, I think Johnson becomes a major possibility. I think the Titans draft board going into the draft will look something like this (assuming we don't get Roy Williams or a DE via FA):

1.) Quentin Groves
    2.) Limas Sweed
    3.) Chris Johnson
    3.) DeSean Jackson
    4.) Kentwan Balmer
    5.) DRC
    6.) Mario Manningham (Who I'd be considering, 4.6 & all)

I think Groves, Sweed, and Balmer will all be gone, leaving the FO frantically trying to decide between Jackson and Johnson, and possibly considering DRC.

7. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

Cross off DRC he's going top 15. Give me:

1. James Hardy WR Indiana 6'5 217 with 4.45 speed, body control, and above average hands....any questions.

2. Devin Thomas WR Michigan St. 6'2 215 with 4.4 speed, great hands, physical kid, and a huge senior season. Round 1 material absolutely.

3. Antoine Cason CB Arizona 6'0 191 4.45 speed, started since since day 1 on campus, can flip his hips, good ball skills, quietly had another very good season.

4. Branden Albert G Virginia 6'5 309 had one of the best 10 yard dash times, massive frame to get bigger, super athletic for a G could fill in at T. Bell is going to leave which doesn't make me sad one bit and Olsen is done so we need a stud G at least day 1.

5. Phillip Merling DE Clemson 6'4 276 productive DE with good size plays both the run and pass well making him an every down DE. I like his size and strength to play the run and double digits sacks shouldn't be a problem especially if he's on our DL.

8. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill Camp Fodder

If we are going to go for a RB I would rather have Jamal Charles who is just as fast and a better runner and receiver. Also keep in mind that Charles has a track record as an elite RB since his freshmen season at Texas.

BTW did anyone notice on his youtube video the teams he was facing, UAB, So Miss, Boise State.

We are not talking about cream of the crop here we aren't even talking medicore, we are talking Conf USA talent and he still didn't break 2000 yards.

I would much rather have Jamal Charles who did face and excel against top Big 12 talent and top national talent.

9. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

If we were to be looking for a true RB then Charles would probably be the better choice, but if that were the case then we probably wouldn't look at either of them. That's not the case. We're looking to make our offense more dynamic and more adept at putting points on the board, not to mention improve on our terrible return game last season. Johnson's ability to do everything AND his speed makes him a great prospect, not his speed alone, like most people believe. As I've said before, I'm not sure he's worth a first round pick, he has plenty of questions surrounding him, but he is the exact type of player that our FO falls in love with. He may be pushed into our first pick due to certain players not being on the board and the fear of him not lasting until our 2nd pick.

Charles: 275 touches (carries/receptions), 1818 yards, 18 TD's. (6.6 avg)

Johnson: 273 touches, 1951 yards, 23 TD's. (7.1 avg), plus 36 returns for 1009 yards, 1 TD. (28 avg)

As for facing Conference USA defenses, he also had Conference USA talent blocking for him. So, take that into account however you'd like.

10. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

we actually didn't have a terrible time moving the ball between the 20's. we were ranked 21st in the league in total yards, mostly because of a bad passing attack and we were dead last in red zone efficiency. i don't see how a scatback would help tremendously.

a tightend would be more beneficial.

and like i said a few pages ago, i liked what i saw of chris henry coming out of the backfield, he just needs improvement on his blocking, as does johnson.

and you don't pick a returner in the first round.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar