City Paper article on CJ

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by amy, Jun 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kent

Kent Camp Fodder

This is crazy talk, Do you watch the games?
    Cj is providing some thing this offense seems to always misses. EXPLOSION.
    Please push play on this video again, remind me of another player the Titans have ever had that is that explosive?

2. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Another player as explosive? Pacman Jones. And we were fine without him, TOO.

lmao @ CJ being a complete back. GTFO. He's hit or miss. The definition of a homerun hitter. He'll tip toe around for a loss of 5 one carry, then hit a 60 yarder later to make up for all his mediocre runs.

A "complete" back would be a back with power. CJ has no power. He has speed, and shiftiness. Many NFL backs have that- as I mentioned... Steve Slaton. Tons of scat backs in the NFL, they just dont have the blocking we have.

And yes, Slaton is a nobody- due to the team he;s on. Remember their rookie seasons? Many people said Slaton was just as good as CJ. The only thing that changed was fumbling and an injury.

3. A Fightin'Titan

A Fightin'Titan Starter

He has power and he's a three down back. Actually he has speed, vision and power. Of course he isn't Brandon "I'm actually a lineman" Jacobs but he doesn't shy from contact. And the fact that he "tip toes" around as you put it, isn't always a bad thing. Isn't that called patience? Something AP's coach was trying to show him? (actually showing clips of our overrated RB) Make an arguement all you want about him shying away from contact or waiting for the line to do all the work........but you're wrong.

Did you actually watch the vid? I doubt it. Some plays the line makes a hole and others it's all CJ. Plenty of contact where he makes it out alive for more yards.

Any line can make a hole and any running back can hit it. But when CJ hits it he's already into the secondary.

Barring injury CJ could be the best back to ever play the game!

Oh and you're right. Make up for his mediocre runs. That's all he does.

Give CJ the carries that Lendale got in 08 and there would've been no comparisons. Only whispers of HOF! Ha!

Really though, I can't believe i'm actually having to argue this. That our once in a lifetime player is better than the average scrap from around the league. Like ..... really?

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Deuce aint smoking anything, he needs to though. Hittin the peace pipe would calm him down with this crazy talk of Slaton replacing C.J. and Phil Jackson not coaching. Yes Deuce, Slaton was a good rookie, and Phil does take it easy Nov-March, but you're silly to think Slaton can take on C.J.'s workload. Steve Slaton is an okay-solid player. In his 11 game he did dress for, he only accumulated like 400 yards rushing. Even if you assume a healthy Slaton is better, doubled his yards, he's literally not even half of C.J. on paper. Slaton catches well for a back, but 1.) he doesn't have C.J.'s 5th gear, and 2.) he fumbles! I'd never want a back who fumbles. If it were the other way around and C.J. did all he does but fumbles, then maybe just maybe I'd ask Houston for Slaton, Johnson, and Williams to let C.J. go.

5. Titanic_Sub

Titanic_Sub Pro Bowler

You wouldn't be able to get Johnson, or Williams ALONE in a trade for C.J let alone both or them and Slaton. Get real CJ isn't god.

6. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

You're a moron gloat. I mean, you actually know football. You know what you're talking about to a pretty high degree, I've read enough of your posts to understand this. But the fact that you think any one year wonder, bottom of the barrel RB could perform like CJ behind our line is absurd. CJ is far and away the best offensive weapon in the NFL. Over Andre Johnson. Over AP. Over Larry Fitz. Over MJD. The dude is a beast, and you act like he's just run of the mill. Sure, I don't like the way he's acting. He's acting like a punk in fact. But I would be too if I was performing like him and getting paid what he does. His career is on the line every game.

7. JCBRAVE

The point I was trying to make was that there's nothing I'd trade C.J. for.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

A month ago I would have said the same. He's the most dynamic threat in the NFL, a player that can burn any defense on any given play. However, with the way he's been acting lately, I'm not sure. It's not so much the holding out that bothers me, that I can understand. It's just the entire 'me first, eff the team' mentality that he seems to have that irritates me. Calling Houston his 'new city' is a smack in our face. That is our rival, we are supposed to hate them. I never heard about Willie Parker rolling up in Baltimore or Cincinnati or Cleveland like 'this could be mah new city dowg'. That's wack. If we could get serious value for him, I'd let him go. Another very good RB from the NFC plus a draft pick and I could part with him. Deangelo Williams plus a first round pick. Holla at ya boy CJ, go hold out and make friends with Carolina's enemies.

9. JCBRAVE

None of us know how C.J.'s personality really is. You follow him on twitter, see his videos he puts out, but not a one of us here has a real idea of who he is and what he stands for. I've heard numerous NFL players who hang out with him talk about him like he's another kind of cat, a rare find. From what I've seen and heard I feel that he has fun working out. Who besides me finds that interesting that he'd rather be working out than at a pool party or at an event with other celebrities. The guy LOVES football, and wont let this contract dispute get in the way of games. He may in fact have to holdout a few days, maybe a week, but the guy wont miss real games. He will be there for his teammates, or at least that's what his online life has kind of led me to believe. Last year when he came out and said he had to get away from the "Smash & Dash" thing, I thought he was a loud mouth, but he's really not. He's just knows what he wants, and by tweeting on twitter and throwing up Ustream videos, he's eventually going to get what he's after. Most of whats happening I'm betting is smoke screen stuff. He's throwing some bait and hoping the Titans bite. I'm pretty sure the dude will be a go for week-1 vs. Oakland.

10. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I understand why you guys disagree. And I see all your points. My take is that CJ is a VERY lucky speed-back that landed on the perfect team for his style of running. I don't think he can create anything without really good blocking. He can't pound the ball. He can't break tackles. He can fly through large lanes though, and cut to find those lanes.

And understand- that doesn't make him bad. He's great. Just one dimensional. Not a "complete back" as someone tried to say. He's a fastazz dude that runs through very large holes. Deangelo Hall could run well behind our blocking. (and yes, I meant to say HALL)

CJ's overrated. By Titans fans and himself, mostly. Bring in any shifty fast back and he'll be just as good for us. Maybe not 2000 yards good, but efficient. Which is all we need. The 2k yards hurt us more than helped anyway. Drives aren't built by 2 yard runs mixed with two 60 yarders.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar