CJ video ......

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by bluewaterpirate, May 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alpha-Centuri

Alpha-Centuri Starter

That would be your opinion. I think Fisher's first priority was to get a game-changer, a guy who can make guys miss, and burn them. One who could catch, and take it to the house, along with make one guy miss out the backfield and is off to the races. Not only that, but a guy who is effective on KR and/or PR.

Basically a person to replace Pacman Jones' electryfing plays.

We didn't have the luxury of Pacman last year, and as a result of lack of ST proficiency, our offense suffered. Instead of starting at the 50, we were starting at the 25. And finding a good KR/PR is not easy.. We tried to plug in a bunch of guys at returner and we had o.k results from Griffin, and everyone else just about sucked. (Chris Davis' average was ok, but he fumbled way to much)

Nothing is for certain, and he could be a bust. But that is true for Darren MacFadden also. That shouldn't deter you from trying to get better in the draft.

2. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Maybe we should fire MR and Fisher and appoint RT as our new GM and coach.

IMO we will just have to wait and see how this whole thing works out. If Dinger can figure out how to use CJ he could give us the spark out offense needs to get to the next level. No sense in calling anyone stupid until we know the results of the test which won't come for a year or so.

I think CJ will be a stud.

3. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

That doesn't make a lot of sense.

If our team needed a QB, and we didn't draft one until round 7, would that be a valid concern or just stupid because hey we did draft a QB?

4. Alpha-Centuri

Alpha-Centuri Starter

Well, thats a pretty extreme case, but I'll go with it. If that QB that was drafted in the 7th was the 3rd one taken the entire draft, and he happened to be a = prospect of the two taken before him, then it wouldn't matter.

Very absurd to think that would happen, I know.

To a lesser (and more realistic) stint, Both Brian Brohm and Chad Henne dropped further than they were expected. Whoever got them, would have gotten the so called "steal of the draft" because they were rated higher than where they went. If you look individually, no matter if you got them in the 1st or 7th, they were good prospects.

With WR this year, we could have drafted Hawkins 2 rounds earlier, and it wouldn't have been a reach in the eyes of many.

Rolltide: I forgot to fully comment on this, sorry

I'd just like to add on what I said before, we're not trying to replace Lendale. He was very valuable to us. By getting Johnson, it will only enhance his play. Again, White was most effective in his football career when he had a quick, playmaking guy to spread the defense thin. That way, he doesn't have to worry as much. It will make our offense more efficient.

Chris Brown had a 3rd of his yards in one game. I know you can't put that aside, because it shows his ability to take off and be productive, but over the season, he wasn't overly useful except to spell White every now and then.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Breaking down chris brown..

In 4 years chris brown averaged almost 800 yards of offense per year for us. 634 on average on the ground and 151 yards on average as a receiver. His average carry went for 4.3 yards above average. His average pass reception went for 9 yards again above average. In three of those years he caught 19 or more passes. He was and is a good receiver.

One could argue that brown was inconsistent having a fantastic 175 yard game but only averaging 3.5 ypc in the others. I would argue that chris johnson may have that exact same problem. Brown's big game in week one got us a playoff appearence because we needed that and looking back it may have been our biggest win of the year. Certainly one of them.

Brown was not as many will point out an every down feature back who can carry the ball 20 times a game. Apparently neither is johnson. Brown wasn't a tough guy who could get the tough inside yardage when needed. Same for johnson.

Chris johnson hasn't even played a preseason game but already he is getting his arse kissed. Already the coaches have said he will get 15 touches a game.

Will chris johnson even be as good as chris brown or will a fairer comparison be john simon? We will see but you can bet your arse that when the tough yards are needed it will be 25 out there gettingthem not the prima donna.

A waste of a 1st rd pick as far as i'm concerned. I hope CJ proves me wrong..

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Fair enough we used the 24th pick on a kick return man. :eek:

FYI pacman jones' average kick return was for 26.2 yards which is above average but hardly to the 50 everytime. It was his touchdowns that made him different. Maurice jones drew averaged 26.2 yards per return last year and was ranked 18th in the league. As a team a 26.2 average would be third in the league but the per return difference between the top team in football(browns) and an average team was about 4 yards.

In short you are grossly exaggerating the difference. Of course that is assuming johnson can even carry pacman's jock in that department. I wonder what john simon is doing these days?

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Chris johnson 1000 all purpose yards!

Ah, 2 kick returns a game for the very modest 24 yards a return =768 yards. Wow he would only need 232 yards from scimmage to meet that lofty goal.

The legendary jon simon had 669 yards of total offense for us in 2002.

8. Nine

Nine Starter

CJ is no more a wasted pick than Merling, Balmer, or any other defensive player on the board at #24. You act as if these other guys were slam dunks; the fact is, there were significant question marks for every one of them...otherwise, they wouldn't have been there at #24.

If the Titans were simply looking to replace Chris Brown in the rotation, then I'd agree that it was a wasted pick. But Brown's replacement was drafted last year. This year, they were looking for something entirely new....a player who could add a whole new dimension to the offense.

In Johnson, the Titans have a home-run hitter with very good vision, excellent balance, excellent ball security, remarkable receiving skills, and...oh, yeah.....absolutely unbelievable speed and acceleration. Oh, and he's also an excellent kick returner.

He may not be a prototypical power runner, but if you'll watch him on tape, you'll see that when he's tackled, he uses his forward momentum to spin defenders or drive them backward, and picks up an extra 2-3 yards after contact virtually every single time. He's no Jerome Bettis or Larry Johnson, but he's got more power than people give him credit for.

You seriously think he or someone like him would have been available in round 3?

9. Nine

Nine Starter

Actually, I've said before (and I'll stand by it) that Chris Johnson will have over 2000 all-purpose yards this year, and probably a half-dozen TD's.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Nine he is a wasted pick because we didn't need him.

Chris carr by the way averaged, averaged 1613 yards a season just returning kicks for the raiders and after just 3 years holds the team record for return yards.

Can CJ even beat out carr for the kick return job?

You know that the bust rate for backs taken in the second half of the first rd is much higher than at those other positions? Sure you know that..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar