CJ's run is up

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by reo, Aug 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cld12pk2go

cld12pk2go Starter

Good luck with that. He shifts gears whenever his current rational for slandering CJ becomes unsustainable after moderate scrutiny.

The simple answer is that he didn't like the pic and is determined to find a reason (or "facts") to support that position.

The little detail that he is the only one on this site that seems to share his vision makes him either nuts or a prophet... :))

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Now i'm "slandering" poor chris johnson. Do you even know the meaning of that word? I doubt it.

I have not even been talking about chris johnson particularly at all on this thread.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Based on the first week of preseason there are now 10 nonstarting RBs who can be considered premiere playmakers.

What if a player is better than average 20% of the time and below average 80% of the time? Should we emotionally respond in such a way to the 20% that we forget the other 80%?

Chris johnson had a 66 yard run but only averaged 2.2 yards a carry on his other 5 carries. Is that what riverman was talking about when he said greater ability to make a play in a given situation?

4. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

It is pretty clear what I am talking about in my post RT.

I don't know how you don't understand something that direct.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

In review for those who fail to understand.

There are few truly impactful backs over a significant length of time. Even marshall faulk one of my all time fav players only truly dominated when he had a hall of fame or mvp QB and hall of fame WRs around him. With ordinary talent around him he was ordinary.

Tiki barber was probably the model for explosive backs over the last decade. He averaged an amazing 4.7 yards carry but even he only broke off a 40+ yard run once every 105 carries and a 20 yard+ run every 75 carries. What made barber great was that he still managed a 4 yard average ypc on all his other carries.

6. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

You make a good point about what defines a "good" RB RollTide but let me ask you this (I think another poster was suggesting this also).

What value do you feel a "playmaker" has for a team?

I believe they are indeed game changers- directly by the plays they produce and indirectly by the opportunities they create for other players when opposing teams adjust to their presence on the field.

Surely you can't dispute that thus far in TC and Saturday Chris Johnson's performance suggests that he has a greater probability than average of being that type of player?

And just for shiz and giggles- I think both Tiki Barber and Marshall Faulk were "premiere playmakers".

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Not to join the party late but a "playmaker" is someone opponents have to scheme against and who improves all those around him.

The most obvious one the Titans have is Haynesworth on defense and Young on offense. You can bet opponents start their game plans by trying to limit both.

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Not to join the party late but a "playmaker" is someone opponents have to scheme against and who improves all those around him.

The most obvious one the Titans have is Haynesworth on defense and Young on offense. You can bet opponents start their game plans by trying to limit both.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

A playmaker. What a lame concept.

Did you know that 61 RBs in the national football league average over 4 yards a carry last year. 61! Are they all playmakers? All 61 playmakers?

48 Rbs rushed for over 500 yards in the nfl last year and 17 went over 1000 yards. What if a guy had over 1000 yards AND rushed for over 4 yards a carry? Premiere playmaker? There were 12 of those.

What is the bottom line? That the difference between a guy going to a pro bowl and the average guy? Basically the number of rushing attempts they had. NOT who was the best playmaker.

FYI chris brown once rushed for over 1000 yards with a 4 yard + average. In 06 chester taylor did that. Primere playmakers?

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I don't like the term for a RB it is more appropriate for a WR. All RBs are playmakers based on the simple fact that the ball is handed to them and they are expected to produce. It takes a lot more work for a WR or TE to get the football than a RB who has it handed to him.

A guy like tomlinson has great value to a team. But most RBs are no better than the next guy and not like him. Quinton portis for example is just an average runner who gets the ball a lot. So was eddie..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar