Clock ticking on Titans, Warmack

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Jul 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

With just a couple of days left before the start of training camp, Titans guard Chance Warmack remains one of four top-10 NFL picks without a contract.

The Titans are still optimistic about signing Warmack before the team hits the field for the first time on Thursday, but the topic of offset language still needs to be settled between the two sides.

As a refresher, offset language refers to what happens if a team cuts a player before the end of his contract, and if that player then signs with another team.

If there’s offset language in the player’s initial contract, he can’t “double-dip” – i.e., earn money from two teams’ contracts. If there’s no offset language in the initial contract, he gets what remains on his contract from one team and also earns money from his new team.

Obviously, teams are pushing to include offset language in contracts, while players would rather not have it.

So far, three of the six top-10 selections who’ve signed this year — Jacksonville T Luke Joeckel (2nd overall), Detroit DE Ziggy Ansah (5th overall) and St. Louis WR Tavon Austin (8th overall) – reportedly do not have offset language in their contracts.

The other three top-10 selections who’ve signed – Miami DE Dion Jordan (3rd overall), Philadelphia T Lane Johnson (4th overall) and Cleveland LB Barkevious Mingo (6th overall) – reportedly do have offset language in their contracts.

Teams have negotiated in the offset language by agreeing to give the players more of their signing bonuses earlier in their careers.

One positive for the Titans, as they attempt to include offset language in Warmack’s deal, is that San Diego tackle D.J. Fluker – who was picked 11th overall, one spot behind Warmack – did have offset language in his contract.

The player selected one spot ahead of Warmack – New York Jets cornerback Dee Milliner – has yet to come to terms.

If Milliner’s eventual contract does contain offset language, that would mean players taken on both sides of Warmack have offset language. It would be hard for Warmack to buck that trend.

On the other hand, if Milliner’s eventual deal does not have offset language, that might make matters a little more complicated for the Titans and Warmack.

Share on Facebook

Posted In: Team News, Training Camp

Source: Titans Insider

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Who the hell cares about offset language, hes not getting cut

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. CalgaryTitansFan

CalgaryTitansFan Pro Bowler

What exactly is offset language? I read the blurb in that post, but it wasn't very informative.

4. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Sign the line, chubs. You're not a WR, fancy pants. Just sign.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Smash

Smash 2017 Survivor Winner

If the Titans cut him before the rookie contract expires and he signs with another team, the Titans can claim some of the guarantees from the rookie contract, so the player can't "double earn".

There's more to it and you can read about it here:
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...-for-top-picks-getting-signed-offset-language

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Cooper is not yet signed so there is no guidance. Fluker signed for just $2.85M a year so warmack wants a little more than that.

I can't believe a deal won't get done by camp. Expect something along the lines of 4 year $12M deal with a $3M SB and $3M more in guaranteed money which is actually never guaranteed, you can be cut.

The typical bonuses for workouts and weight requirements.

7. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

Have the Titans ever failed at getting the picks signed before camp? Just asking, if so I don't remember it.

8. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

I think we had one, and I think it might have been Pac Man.

9. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Todays the day, is Warmack signed?

10. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

It was Pac. He held out and acted like a *****. Keith Bulluck said he was going to call Pac "Adam" when he showed up. Albert Haynesworth was not ready until the third day I think. And some others who missed a few days at the most. But other than Pac nothing big.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar