Closet anime fans?

Discussion in 'Movies/TV' started by avvie, Feb 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

I'm pretty new to the anime format but I gotta say that they have some great storytelling in them....or maybe it just seems that way because I sheltered myself from television for many many years due to 70's and 80's content. Dunno. Glad we have streaming content these days..viva variety!
    Bored one day and liked the description so the first one I tried was 'The Devil Is A Part Timer'. Great comedy that opens with standard good-vs-evil magic battle in mythical lands resulting in Satan retreating to modern day Tokyo and working at McDonald's. Fun stuff.
    Checked a couple of others out...found I just do not care in any way for medievil warrior/samarai stuff....then I found 'Black Butler' (English dub version). LOVE this one...note my avatar. Set in Victorian England and part comedy, part gothic horror. 12-year-old nobleman Ciel Phantomhive enters into a contract with a demon to help find and take revenge against those who killed his parents, burned down his estate and tortured him for weeks on end; in return the demon gets to consume his soul when the quest is done. Great story arc that straddles between adolescent comedy and 'polite society' drama, featuring some outlandish characters and gory violence.
    "Attack On Titan': you've probably heard of this one. I'm still in the first season so I'm not sure what to make of it but I do enjoy it. I will say that as the season progresses it becomes a becomes a series of moral dilemmas with lots of speeches and debate leading to very short action sequences to end the episode. It's still good though.
    Rooster Teeth- the people who brought you 'Red vs. Blue'- have a CG animated series in the anime tradition that I just binged the hell out of called 'RWBY' (pronounced 'ruby). On the surface it's cute teenaged warrior girls with powerful weaponry- and who doesn't love that?- but it eventually invokes ALL the tropes and conflicts experienced in entertainment mediums- good vs evil; coming of age; military proliferation; fairy tale horror; espionage and subterfuge; inner conflict; alienation; personal choice; magic and violence; distopia and utopia; and it also features the greatest food fight sequence ever made along with a villian who looks suspiciously like Malcolm McDowell in 'A Clockwork Orange'.
    There's a lot of them out there and they seems to have something for everyone in every genre but without the Hollywood focus group restraints in character development and storytelling.
    Got any faves of your own to recommend or am I the only old guy dressing like a teenager in anime gear?

2. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Speed Racer and some various facetious manga is about as close as I care to come to anime..

• High Five High Five x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
  3. Aqutis30

Aqutis30 Do you mind - NOT being a Motaur?

Ninja Scroll and Vampire Hunter D.......

4. XO

XO Nevada Native

5. Titans Eternal

Titans Eternal Got the swagger of a cripple

Only if tentacles are involved.

6. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

It's weird. I feel like I really should be super into anime. I love animation in general. I love sci-fi stuff. I love Japanese culture. I've tried countless times to get into it more but too much of it ends up falling flat for me, for whatever reason. I have seen many of the classics and love some of those. But outside of that.... IDK, maybe I'm just not seeing the right stuff.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Yeah, they're not all great, that's true. There's been a couple that seemed like a good idea but wound up being stillborn....like "Psycho Pass", which is related to Minority Report, Bladerunner and the like but the dialogue just could not keep my attention. Also, there's lots of medieval/samarai stuff which, as I said in the OP, I don't care for at all. "Tokyo Ghoul" seemed promising but the setup is taking entirely too long. I'd like to check out some of the teen sex comedies but I feel like a creep even reading the series descriptions :/
    That's one of the problems with being raised in the rather prudish South.

8. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Afro Ninja was great

and I fondly remember Star Blazers from my childhood

My daughter is huge into this crap, son also but not nearly as much.

More like me. Picks and chooses

9. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

For a number of years Nashville Anime/Cos shared the building with Full Moon, which is a horror/tattoo convention we table at.
    On our side was mostly bearded bikers and women in any state of undress and on the other side, armies of Pikachus and uh, whatever they call those characters - mostly kids of "dropped off by mom" age. Admission allowed access to either side and the crowds mixed - so you'd have Kane Hodder loudly and explicitly describing how he would do mom up the rear - while the kids would be acting out a scene from some anime show would just be feet away. A weird mix..

• LOL LOL x 1
  10. Dee

Dee Pro Bowler

Samurai 7
    Trigun
    Full Metal Alchemist

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar