Coaching candidates and interviews

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Gunny, Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

"If Bud Adams hired Mike Munchak it would get Earl Campbell’s attention and I’d want to be more involved with the Titans," Campbell said on Wednesday at the Super Bowl."

He evidently said these quotes in the FUTURE!!! We really need his support. He has time-traveling technology. 1.21 gigawatts.

Evidently the Super Bowl will also be played on a Wednesday at some point.

2. dtm586

dtm586 The Master Jedi

Looks like either way 2011 the Titans will have a lame duck coach, a fill-in QB; If Bud does choose Munchak (Fisher 2.0) and wants to stay in the Houston Oiler days then thats fine for a year or so, just don't hope were seeing Munch here for 17 years and having 6 winning records during that span ...

My dream scenario for 2011 to salvage something is; Perry Fewell for a at least a couple of seasons during the hopefully brief re-building stage and go after Kevin Kolb, unless the Eagles are serious about a 1st round pick for him then NO WAY!

3. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Love the blind tag 'Fisher 2.0' from people that act like they have any idea what they're talking about.

• High Five High Five x 6
  4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I have no idea where they get that rubbish.

5. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

It IS a stretch to assume that he would be Fisher "Clone" or "2.0" but the idea that he would have a significantly similar coaching style has merit. I'm certain he will "be his own man" when it comes to decision making, but hiring from within does have its limitations.

Munchak has never been outside the Oiler/Titan organization (as far as I know) so he hasn't had much exposure to diverse coaching, front office and ownership styles. He brings a limited "repetoire" of skills in that regard. He also has limited exposure to other coaches/contacts so it might be more difficult for him (as opposed to somebody that has coached for other franchises) to bring the most talented coaches in.

6. amy

amy Starter

"Munchak has never been outside the Oiler/Titan organization (as far as I know) so he hasn't had much exposure to diverse coaching, front office and ownership styles. He brings a limited "repetoire" of skills in that regard. He also has limited exposure to other coaches/contacts so it might be more difficult for him (as opposed to somebody that has coached for other franchises) to bring the most talented coaches in."

You have a good argument. On the other hand, I'm sure he watches film after film of how other teams do it, and so picks up some valuable info. I think the problem the Titans have had for several years now is its poor drafting and trading of players. The FO just can't seem to pick them, unlike whoever does that job for the Steelers.

7. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

I hear what you are saying, but I do not want to prejudice my opinion of him just yet.

Yeah, he has been in the Oiler/Titan system forever, but he has been in the system through numerous styles of offense, defense, etc. To assume he would coach just like Fisher is being premature.

Don't get me wrong, I would prefer we bring in someone from outside. However, I am not going to start hating (not that you are either, but I am already seeing it from others) on Munchak before he coaches 1 down in the NFL as a HC....just would not be right.

8. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Coaching is a community, and as much as we would like to think Munch would bring something different.....Riverman has a great point. When you see new guys get their first Head Coaching gigs, you always see them raid coaches from other staffs with whom they have experience from working different staffs. Munch has had some diversity with offensive schemes that he's played for, but he hasn't had the opportunity to work different staffs and a stable of coaches. Fewell, Mularkey and even Dinger have worked with lots of different coaches and could build a staff within their circles. just my opinion.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

You coach one team or several for a decade you "know" other coaches around the league.
    It's a club just like the players. What's between the man's ears, what's in his football heart and what he inspires in his team trumps all that anyway..

• High Five High Five x 2
  10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

If Munchack was Fisher's offensive coordinator the last 10 years you could possibly say that but as the o-line coach he has not been a part of strategy and game planning. We don't know how he would be different.

His philosophy could be the same but unlike Fisher he wouldn't keep coaches on the team who just were not doing a good job.

If he is assertive as any head coach should be he would be his own man and not just a clone of somebody else. He is competitive, he wants to win and he wants to keep a job that pays really well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar