Colbert to replace Letterman on Late Show

Discussion in 'Movies/TV' started by nickmsmith, Apr 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

Surprising, but ballsy move. I would be inclined to watch.

You have to wonder how he will pull it off. We he play his character, or just play it straight?

Even being a Hoosier myself, Letterman never appealed to me. I think Colbert will bring a lot of new viewers to the program.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Some interesting commentary:

http://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2014/04/10/letterman-out-colbert-in/

by
    Kathy Shaidle

As well, I’m not a fan of Colbert’s schtick; yes, I “get” it, and no, it still wasn’t funny enough, regularly enough, to turn me into a loyal viewer.
    In fact, Colbert’s character is so “ten years ago,” so Bush Administration, it’s been giving off an anachronistic odor for a while.
    This new job gives Colbert a dignified and lucrative way to kill off his tired alter ego.
    Because — and here’s the point — Stephen Colbert is perfectly capable of comporting himself out of character.
    At least, he was when, for instance, he’d join the gang on Colin Quinn‘s Tough Crowd (speaking of “ten years ago.”)
    Some will accuse me of using this post as an excuse to post a Tough Crowd clip, and while I admit that I do love myself some Nick DiPaolo, I really am trying to be, well, fair and balanced.
    This isn’t a test of whether or not Colbert is really “left wing” or “right wing.” I’m just saying that the inside joke in Tough Crowd‘s title was that one’s fellow stand up comics were going to be the toughest crowd you’d faced in a long time. Participants who couldn’t keep up were crushed quickly and painfully. Colbert passed the test.
    He impressed me when I found this old clip on YouTube. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but: Colbert may very well prove us all wrong.
    Check out this clip and see what you think:

3. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

I don't think Colbert is actually out of character......maybe exaggerated, but not a 'character'

4. nickmsmith

he plays the part of the right-wing pundit, when he is actually left-leaning. I'd call it a character. His whole concept on the Colbert character that he uses in the show, is mocking the Fox News types.

"The show focuses on a fictional anchorman character named Stephen Colbert, played by his real-life namesake. The character, described by Colbert as a "well-intentioned, poorly informed, high-status idiot", is a caricature of televised political pundits.[3][4]"

He is really funny, and I'm kinda pumped to see a funny, younger person take over. Not a retread SNL alum, or Jimmy Kimmel.

5. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Well, I mean.... It's blatantly obvious he is left leaning.....I'd call it more sarcasm.

6. nickmsmith

yeah.

I'm interested to see how he will do it on this bigger stage.

If a generally awkward and unfunny stooge like Jimmy Fallon can pull it off, and make an entertaining show.. I'm sure Colbert will be legendary.

I was pretty blown away by the news. I knew Colbert had a good thing at Comedy Central. His spinoff show is much more popular than the Daily Show which birthed it. CC will be hurting after this. Big time.

CC is going to have to go gangbusters to find somebody to retain even half of the Colbert audience. John Oliver is the biggest thing to come through the DS recently. He would be funny in his own right.. but he is leagues below Colbert. (just saw that he is starting his own show on HBO in a few weeks)

Colbert is the only thing I miss about cutting off cable.

7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Letterman has been hard to watch for years, I like the change up.

8. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

I been a die hard member of Colbert nation since his second episode, first was eh but been great ever since. and I know he can be funny without being political all day...but damn can he keep tip of a hat wag of a finger...and I swear imam cry watching his first guest get introduced and not see him run across the stage for all the applause to his guest already sitting in a interview chair lol that was so classic colbert

been watchin archer a lot lately. classic

9. XO

XO Nevada Native

Cringe

10. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Colbert?

How long before this thread ends up in the section that shall not be named?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar