College Football Playoffs

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by titanthakur, Dec 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Penn State played 12 games other than just Ohio State don't you get that? Ohio State beat Michigan a team that blew out Penn State. Ohio state had the better win percentage playing a harder overall schedule. Oklahoma is better than Pitt and OSU blew out Oklahoma while Penn State lost to Pitt.

It's not so simple as one head to head game.

2. VondyP

VondyP Undisputed 2QBeaver Champion

you know it's bad when RollTide has to break it down for you @altitan

• LOL LOL x 1
  3. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

College playoffs are a sham just like BCS! How could any of you criticize the BCS and be okay with how the playoffs have worked out???

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Let's talk more about the problem with the 8 team playoff.

Ok so imagine we have an 8 team format, the committee sees the problem with 4 big ten teams in the post season so they rank Wisconsin 9th and have USC going as the 8th ranked team.

Does USC deserve a playoff birth? They lost 52-6 to Alabama and did not even win their division. An Alabama USC rematch, attractive? In this case scenario 2 of the 4 first rd games are rematches. Who wants that? In this scenario you have teams in the playoffs who have been blown out during the year.

Remember the biggest problem with the old BCS was that occasionally there would be a deserving #3 ranked team that gets screwed out of it. Like the year Auburn was unbeaten and got screwed out of the championship or in 2011 when Oklahoma St. deserved to be there. The 4 team playoff eliminated that so why do we need 8 teams?

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

So what team has been screwed out of the playoffs that you think deserved it? I think they worked out fine. Name the teams.

6. Alex1939

The first time a questionable 4th place team wins the playoffs, it only exposes the flaws further.

Let's say by some miracle that Ohio State wins this year... is it really fair that they are the national champions and they weren't even conference champions? Especially when a good argument could be made the Penn State was more deserving of their spot?

7. Alex1939

Penn State, Michigan.

Year 1, TCU and Baylor.

8. altitan

altitan Pro Bowler

I blocked him a long time ago. Unbearable, much like most bandwagon Alabama fans. I know lots of people would disagree about my idea of the playoff and thats okay, still doesnt change my opinion. Personally, I would like to see 6 teams. 5 conference champs and one at large. Top two seeds get a bye.

#28 altitan, Dec 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2016
  9. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Because Penn State is the 3rd best team in the B10.

beating OSU in crazy weather off a fluke block doesn't change that.

System is still broken. Washington getting smashed will show that.

There are only 2 teams that give Alabama a challenge this year- UM and OSU. Both would wreck Hurts and it'd be up to Bama's defense to win it. (and I think they would)

• Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  10. Alex1939

First problem with college football is that too many teams are considered D1 (or whatever they call it now) and so many teams don't belong in it... like the Sun Belt.

But regardless, longterm I think college football needs to go towards a 16 team playoff, a shortened regular season. For the non playoff teams, revenue and schedule can be accomplished by having D2 schools scheduled late in the year... maybe even a system such as D2 school plays AT whatever top SEC school isn't in playoffs.

You'd have to have the conference championship games sooner.

And I also like an idea with a shortened schedule of some 4 team mini-playoffs for the non-16 major playoff teams. Something where basically you are having a play-in game into one of the major (non-16 team playoff) bowl games.

It's an idea, an improvement for sure.

But I still say the BCS was just as valid as this 4 team college playoff sham.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar