College Football Should Be Banned

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by XO, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

isn't the USFL working to come back and become an NFL spring farm system?

2. XO

XO Nevada Native

Those are not choices. How often do players come out of those two systems?

You obviously want zero change in college football and are not bothered by what the game has become. I no not like what goes on in the NCAA. It is shady, it is corrupt.

The goal is not to bring down CFB. The goal is to make it become one thing or the other. You can't be a university and a semi professional sports franchise. What they have now will not last forever.

It needs to be returned to a game for amateur students. I already view the major conferences as nothing more than a farm league for the NFL. I watch football on Saturdays mainly to see who might be playing on Sundays and whi to look for come draft time. That isn't okay with me. I want to see the University of Tennessee representing me as a former student and not a fan of football.

The problem is multiplied by 1000 down here in Alabama. Alabama and Auburn are sports franchises here. They are not viewed as schools. I can't tell you how many times I'm asked why I support Tennessee. I always love responding with "because I actually went there, what year did you graduate from Alabama?" Oh wait you didn't... yea. It is like supporting a high school you didn't go to. That really doesn't matter here... just an annoying off topic rant. It is related just to show that they are not viewed as schools so why pretend that they are?

People in south Alabama seriously wear Cam Newton as a badge of honor. They built him a statue in Auburn... he maybe took 12 credit hours? I doubt he even took that many. At that point the football program has nothing to do with the university. It is a semi pro franchise that wears them emblem of the college it happens to represent. Why not just go ahead and make it official? Break off and form club teams, pay your players. Supplement your roster with true scholarship amateurs from the university if you want. Embrace the role as the minor league for the NFL.

Your only other choices are to keep going til it crumbles or clean the system up.

3. XO

XO Nevada Native

Yes but it only works if the NFL embraces it and removes the required college attendance rules.

4. jplusip

jplusip Pro Bowler

This has always struck me as an ignorant and grossly self-righteous way of viewing this topic. Especially the comparison to high schools. Where one (or one's children) goes to high school is almost exclusively determined by where their parents/guardians are able to find work (or some form of financial stability). In turn, a high school football team (or any high school athletic team) is virtually random in its composition.

When one goes to college, they may go to pursue a sport, and to that end they may pick a school with a good program developed for that sport. Virtually nobody picks their high school pending on their football program.

The point is, there is a fundamental relative talent difference between the composition of a high school football team and a college football team. So even at the most basic level a college football team is more interesting to watch and follow than any high school team, as the college team's performance rides on the strength of the program.

Now, as for people having never attended the school they root for: Do you mean to tell me that elementary and high school kids should not root for or follow any collegiate team? They should be restricted to the pros? What about someone like me who currently works at and attends a college without a football program, should I be banned from having a favorite team (even though I technically am in the UA system)? If we follow this line of logic, I don't live in Nashville or even Tennessee, should I be barred from these forums and have absolutely no passion for the team I currently root for? I also don't live in Cleveland or Ohio, should I not be allowed to root for the Cleveland Cavaliers?

It's a stupid way of thinking. Very few people pick their college based on their sports program (unless they're an athlete). As a mathematician, I'm more likely to go to Texas A&M for my PhD after I finish my masters than Alabama because Texas A&M has a research group in my area of interest, would that mean I suddenly have to root for Texas A&M?

No, of course not. I've been a fan of Alabama my whole life, as was my Dad and his Dad before him and his Dad before him (I think). College games came on TV or were broadcast on the radio, and my grandfather (or great grandfather) developed a passion for Alabama football and passed it down. That doesn't give us less of a right to root for the team than someone who went their for a degree in business or something, just like my not living in Nashville doesn't mean I have less of a right to root for the Titans.

It is an ignorant sentiment.

5. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

I am late to this, and do not feel like reading the entire thread, so I apologize if this has already been addressed....BUT:

Given that college tuition and other living expenses can extend to $20-30K/year, how are these players NOT being paid already? Just because alot of the players elect to not take advantage of this HUGE benefit does not mean that the investment did not occur.

I agree that CFB has issues...but scrapping it is not the answer. My first reform would be to require players to fulfill their full eligibility (4 years). While I agree that you cannot (and should not) require someone to graduate, at least, by requiring that all players stay four years you could increase the likelihood of the person maturing and recognizing the opportunity he has been given outside of football.

6. XO

XO Nevada Native

It was just an observation of the absurdity of it all. All of the passion and commitment for what? Amateurs, students! We have a following of an amateur college league that surpasses most pro leagues in this country and rivals European soccer in terms of tradition and passion.

I didn't use the example to sound self righteous. That is not my intention. I say it to show the craziness of it all when you step back and realize that these are SCHOOLS. They are the next level of education after high school. The point is that the football programs have become more than that. It is no longer about the university, it is about football. When your football coach is making more than the president of the university and the budgets of most departments there is a serious mix up of priorities.

Where will the line be drawn? The attention and problems are beginning to filter down into the high school level.

Edit: I read that last post again. It did sound self righteous, I apologize for that. It took things off topic.

7. XO

XO Nevada Native

8. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

there is no required college attendance rules?

you just have to be 3 years removed from high school, thats a health thing, has nothing to do with college football.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. XO

XO Nevada Native

You can't truly believe that.

It is an issue of the NFL using colleges as a farm league. That rule is in place so the athlete honestly has no other choice but to attend college. It is in the best interest of the NCAA and the NFL for these rules to remain in place. It is a mutually beneficial system.

The NCAA gets tomorrow's NFL stars playing on their fields today and the NFL gets a free minor league. Perhaps it is good for the future professional athletes to get bigger and gain experience but isn't that what a farm league is anyway?

Call it what it is.

10. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Your thread title is to ban college football, not reform it. Your articles compare college football to slavery. What type of response did you expect? This thread is ludicrous.

If you feel so seriously about this why not go start a minor league football franchise for 18-21 year olds. I mean, you would be able to offer more than a paid college education including room and food, right? Enough players that you think the interest is there for this and it's somehow going to rival the NFL or College? Good luck with that.

Now if you want to talk about reforming college football, then give some ideas. No one has said the system is perfect or that people don't take advantage of its flaws, happens in every large system.

For me the whole argument really is that football is not a right. You aren't born with the right to play football. It's a choice that takes commitment, if an 18 year old feels strongly enough he can go play and earn money somewhere instead of playing for a college.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar