College football to get BCS playoffs

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Preditan, Jun 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

This is basically a plus one system, not a playoff. It's a step in the right direction though. I won't be satisfied until there are eight teams in the playoff field.

No more than eight though. There has never been an argument that the ninth or tenth teams in the BCS rankings should be in the title game, so teams ranked lower than eight should never be considered.

2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I don't know about that. With 120+ teams in a very mixed conferences playing very different schedules sorted by difficulty... I could easily see a big debate between an 8th and 9th place team with the same record.

3. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Truth sucks, bro.

4. Deuce Wayne

Oh. And so much for teams scheduling tough OOC opponents. That's going to stop real quick.

5. Fry

That stopped like eight years ago. Seems like there are only two or four teams that schedule one tough OOC opponent and the team that loses is automatically disqualified from title contention. There's no positive reason to schedule a hard OOC opponent.

6. Deuce Wayne

True. Michigan/Alabama just did it though.

First game of the season... and you'll know your season is over. That sucks.

I think UT did it with OSU too? Maybe?

7. Fry

I'm going to assume that some time in the next 12 years college football becomes more standardized with all of the conference switching. The college presidents and conferences need to get together and agree on an even revenue sharing plan and agree on an even amount of conferences with the same amount of teams playing similar schedules. It's the only way to avoid controversy.

This plus one system is just the first step in getting a legitimate college football landscape.

8. Fry

Yeah, some teams do it every now and then. OSU played a home and home with Texas in 2005 and 2006. Oregon played LSU last year in Dallas.

OSU did schedule UT in 2018 and 2019, which is part of the problem. Neither team knows how good they'll be in seven years. They make the schedule so far in advance so that one can cancel if they need to. If UT somehow becomes a power again(I doubt it), I'll put money on OSU cancelling those games, especially if Urban is still there.

9. Wraith

Wraith Starter

I wanted 8 teams but at least we have something

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar