Collins wants to stay and start, but Young will be with Titans

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Jan 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky <p>NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Vince Young didn't talk in the Titans last open locker room of the 2008 season.</p> <p>That didn't mean he wasn't talked about.</p> <p>Kerry Collins said he'd love to return as the starter, but will go elsewhere or retire if he doesn't find the right opportunity. Jeff Fisher said Young learned a lot from watching, has to show a big offseason commitment, and is still in line to be the Titans quarterback at some point. [Find the news story on that stuff <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3828101" target="_blank">here</a>.]</p> <p>There is not a scenario where Young is not on the team next year, Fisher said. (I've promised a close look at Young's contract this week.)</p> <p>One thing center Kevin Mawae said struck me as being about Young following a season when the quarterback got hurt in the opener and never reclaimed his starting job from Collins.<br /> <br /> "I think this year, this team learned how to collectively win," he said. "We didn't have one guy that stood out amongst a bunch of other guys. We counted on everybody equally."</p> <p>The Titans were certainly better able to do that after bolstering the roster with a dynamic running back in Chris Johnson and by adding other key parts like guard Jake Scott and return man Chris Carr.</p> <p>The Titans quarterback situation will be debated for a good while unless the Titans are quickly able to re-sign him, which would take assuring him of the starting job.</p>

More...

2. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

Why is fisher going to look at Youngs contract this week?

3. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

I know. VY's contract isn't up until the season after next IIRC.

The question is, if KFC comes back and is the starter, and VY does stay with the team, how will he react to holding the clipboard?

I think Fish will make them both duke it out in TC for the starting position.

4. psychotictitan

psychotictitan Its About That Time...

One reason, the guy shouldnt be making $58 mil for being a back up. By the sound of this article, it sounds like Fisher might make them compete during training camp which is only fair. If Collins does win the job, it makes sense to adjust his contract now before TC

5. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

I really dont see VY competing with Collins arm.

6. teegee

teegee Guest

I think it's Kuharsky, not Fisher, who is going to be taking a look at VY's contract (which is why that part was in ( ) ).

• High Five High Five x 2
  7. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

You mean his ability to read defenses?
    Vince can chuck it every bit as far as KFC, and as accurately. It's his lack of ability to go through his reads/checkdowns etc. that causes him to throw errant passes.

8. tommygoldman05

tommygoldman05 Is loving the Titans

They might want to restructure his contract

9. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

What exactly do ballboys make these days?

10. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Make Vince a WR ala Randel El. Build some plays around his strengths and keep KFC under center...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar