colt rings might freeney dwight?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by joelmunroe, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Miller was a good player..

He was solid RT for us and was one of our best run blockers. In 2004 he was absolutely crippled and should not have been on the field for many of those games.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Mcfarland worth a 2nd?

Debatable, at the time the colts made that trade they were unbeaten still. Obviously they knew that the 2nd rd pick they were giving up was a late one. the titans were 1-5 at the time. actually to make gut's point had the titans offered a third a week before the colts offered a 2nd the bucs proably take it.

Point being there is an obvious difference between the 64th pick and the 40th pick.

Mcfarland is 29 years old and won't turn 30 until december. His contract status is that he will be entering the 5th year of a 6 year deal in 2007. He will count about $5m against the cap for the colts the next 2 seasons but they can pay that from what corey simon would have cost them. Simon's career is likely over..

I think it was a great deal for the colts but for our team having mcfarland for just 2.5 years maybe not. Tough call..

3. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

I agree, there are not many great power DEs, but don't use Taylor as an example of a finesse DE, Taylor plays werever he wants on that defense, he plays LB as much as DE, there's nobody you could compare to his ability.

If you look at Freeney's numbers (I'm only using this season's because I can't find anything earlier) not only does he have more sacks on artifical surfaces (5 in 11 games v. .5 in 5 games) he also has significangly better stats in his dome than outside (4 sacks in 8 games v. 1.5 in 8 games)

4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Actually they completely dominated :grrhee: and I would throw the whole 40 mil of CAP space at Freeney despite the fact he couldn't get off one block to even make one tackle let alone a sack. :greedy: Then when Freeney gets zero tackles as a Titan we can have senseless arguments about how effectual he really was despite not getting a hand on a RB or QB for a whole game. :))

5. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

I looked a little harder and found his situational stats from last year (2005 season) and found basically the same thing, 9 sacks in as many games on artificial surfaces compared to only two in 7 games on grass and 10 sacks in 9 games indoors compared to only 1 in seven games outside, Freeney just isn't the same player when you get him outside on grass. To give a little more perspective, I looked at his numbers against us, since the only variable there is location, he's played ten games against us, five in his dome on his artificial turf, five on our grass outside, in his dome he's had 7 sacks, only 3 here, why would we want to bring someone in who hasn't performed well on our field?

6. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

I would think, tho' I know it has not always played out this way, that winning a superbowl would make you want to come back as a team. Your memories are there.

I know there are plenty of examples where that is not true, but you'd think players of a high character would want to stay. Not only because you could do it again, but because you did it. That's a bond not easily broken in one year.

7. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

That's a little "childish" don't you think?

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

A little insight...

First, you'll find almost all speed pass rushers have better stats on turf than grass. Does that mean they are ineffectual on grass? No. It means they dominate more on turf but still get good pressure on grass though fewer sacks.

Secondly, ALL pass rushers have an advantage when playing at home (assuming all other variables remain the same). Why? Crowd noise! Why do you think KC was so hard to play offense in when they had Derrick Thomas! Guess what, Freeney's home stadium is turf so more of his sacks over his career will be on turf. Combine that with the above and his stats SHOULD be skewed towards turf.

Does that mean we shouldn't go after a pass rusher since they're all better on turf and we play on grass???

Are we really having this debate?

Gut

9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Yes...

Yes, thanks for pointing that out. I had meant that he was well worth their second rndr and at the time that would have been close to our 3rd rndr.

I think he is well worth that pick (assuming you're planning on keeping him around for more than 2 years).

Gut

10. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

twins seperated at birth?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

You Decide!

They have the same hairstyle anyways. Distrubingly Bozo lets his dreads hang out the front of his pants.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar