Colts D and our D....

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Bobo, May 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Anyone got opinions on how they allowed the 2nd fewest points per game last year? I haven't looked very closely at things, but do remember they had some good red zone D. I imagine they had a great pass D since they forced a lot of teams to pass against them when they put up a gazzilion points.

I know they don't have the front 4 Dungy had in Tampa, but could they be close? I know Simon didn't make the impact some thought (and he looked like he'd become a big, tubby dough boy), but the two ends put on heat.

I don't know what to think about the smaller, quicker LB's. Maybe I just don't want to see us change from our typical LB. I did watch Thorton a lot on a recording I did from a game last year, and man he couldn't take on a block for ****. But he was very quick. Maybe if our front 4 is better, he'll not have to take on as many blocks.

I know we're changing philosophies, just not sure what to think about it. Size is out, speed is in. You can find examples of either style working well, I'm just a little concerned about how well we'll adapt to this change.

Let the Shwartz bashing begin maybe? lol

2. i like having the speedy lbs on the outside, but would rather a bigger beefed up guy on the inside, to stop more of the power running

3. They have a great passrush, speedy LBs, and forced a lot of turnovers. The key for Indy is to get a lead and force the other team to throw the ball. If they can do that, it plays to their strengths on D.

That's why the Steelers could beat them in the playoffs. They had a power run game that Indy couldn't match up with and a defense that kept Indy's offense in check.

No philosophy is perfect. Indy's works for their game with the talent they have at DE. But then it worked in Tampa with a so-so offense because they had better overall talent on D.

4. TitanGuy

TitanGuy Hey, Mama Rock Me...

They have Bob Sanders!

5. Architect

Architect Pain Train

Yeah I'd rather have LBs with more bulk that put fear in RBs mind as soon as they THINK about taking the handoff. But with the new rules the NFL is allowing way less contact and speed is the only way to be effective until they eliminate these pro-payton rules

6. TitanGuy

TitanGuy Hey, Mama Rock Me...

Cato June should have come up by now!!

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Colts D has several advantages over our D.

First and foremost is the guy running it! Even when they only had one NAME player they had an average D. With a lot of NAME players we get an average D. This is because we have - at best - an average DC.

Second, they have a better front four than Tampa did in terms of pass rush and as SK said, that's WHY their D has been so good. With their excellent offense...they get the lead and then you have to play against an awesome passrush and a zone D played very well!

One thing you should notice about Indy is that they have so many quick and fast guys, someone always slips a blocks and gets the ball carrier. On paper you should be able to run all over them. Mathis is what...250 against a 320lb OT? He should be pancaked on every run but he's not. That's excellent athleticism combined with good coaching. And even if you get him blocked, one of the LB's usually slips a block. When most teams get blocked the way it's drawn up, it's a 5-7 yard gain. Indy'll give up 10-15...but it happens so rarely because like we used to be, they are a high EFFORT D! If you can get by the front 7, Doss or Sanders are flying up to make the tackle.

Arguably, we have MORE talent than they do on D but don't finish anywhere as close...and it's not ALL on their offense getting them the lead.

But to answer your question, I prefer faster LB's who can cover, blitz, shed well and are excellent tacklers. Think Derrick Brooks in his prime!

If a guy can't tackle at LB, he can't play. If he's too slow, or doesn't shed well, or can't cover well, you have to figure out how to use him to maximize his strengths and limit his weaknesses. This is much more important than whether or not we have fast LB's or slow beefy guys. This is why Schwartz takes so much heat...and should! It's up to him to get these guys to fit into being a dominant D....and we haven't seen that since Gregg Williams....5 years ago?

Ya think we're gonna give Tyrone Calico 6 years to develop at WR? Heck no. Schwartz is about 2 years overdue on delivering on his promise. If he doesn't get it done this year, he should be gone.

And keep this in mind. If Gregg Williams were our DC, I'm pretty sure this D would be in the top 10!

Gut

8. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

The Colts offense helped out there D allot last season.

Manning was not looking to bomb down the field on every play but took advantage of the smaller plays. Move the chains instead of score on every play.

It kept there D off the field more and they controlled the clock better. The D had time to study on the sidelines and rest up.

9. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Gut, maybe Indy had a slightly better pass rush last year than the 02 Bucs, but it's not by much. Tampa certainly didn't have the O to fall back on that Indy has.

Indy wasn't all that good against the run. People didn't run much against them, kinda like us in 03. So the total rushing yards are low, but they did give up near the most yards per rush in the league. Seems likely that a team could run on them if they didn't have a big lead to try and overcome.

Gregg Williams didn't have a Dungy style D, and he had old school style LB's. I'd rather have him, but we're stuck with seeing how Jim does with this style D. Where's our old school style of Titan's football gone? I'll miss it, and hope the new trend pays off.

Maybe I'd feel better if we had a chance of having a Indy-esque O.

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

There are always 2 ways of looking at stats...

Did Indy give up a high rush avg because they were playing pass first most of the time and didn't care if you got 6 yards on 3rd and 10?

And analyzing a pass rush has a lot more to do with sacks and stuff because no one compiles stats of QB pressures or forced errant throws.

We are not losing our Old Titans style D...we lost that the first year Schwartz took over...5 years ago. Hopefully, playing more man will see us get CLOSER to what we used to do. Unfortunately, from what I've seen the last 5 years, I'm not gonna hold my breath...just HOPE for the best!

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar