Colts look to prevent big runs

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Sep 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky Â*[​IMG]Â*David Stluka/Getty ImagesÂ*Minnesota's Adrian Peterson ripped the Colts for 160 yards rushing in Week 2. Yesterday we looked at the Colts' struggles running the ball, but that's only half their problem concerning the ground game.
    They've faced two power running attacks so far and came out of games against Chicago and Minnesota with the a run defense ranked 28th, ahead of only Houston, Cincinnati, Kansas City and Detroit. That's not exactly a bunch you want to hang around with in any category.
    Indy cannot continue to give up 181.5 ground yards a game and survive. Now they are without strong safety Bob Sanders for four to six weeks with a high ankle sprain and maybe knee surgery.
    The Colts have shown that even when they play their best defense, they will give up rush yards. They gave up 98.3 a game last year when they had the league's third-best yardage defense and No. 1 scoring defense.
    The Colts facilitated a short Q&A for me this week with middle linebacker Gary Brackett about the run defense.
    When the offense isn't running it well, does that put even more responsibility on the defense to stop the run?
    Gary Brackett: "I think it does. Obviously, stopping the run gets them off the field on third down and gives us the ability to get our offense the ball back. I think it's more of our offense not having the ball enough to figure out what the defense is doing. So, we can help those guys out by getting off the field on third down."
    How crucial is it that you aren't the team that Fred Taylor and Maurice Jones-Drew get it going against?
    GB: "It's extremely crucial. Obviously, we want our offense to have as many chances as possible, and we want to start playing better run defense. Later on in the year, that's really going to be huge for us, how we stop the run, so we just want to get that started and get that trend started of us playing good defense and being solid in our run defense."
    What's been the primary problem in run stopping so far?
    GB: "I think just the big plays, a big play here and there. Obviously the long run [Matt] Forte had the first week, some of the long runs Adrian Peterson had last week, I think three of them, if you eliminate those plays, I think our run defense has been pretty stout. So, we just have to eliminate the big plays and I think that will take care of everything else."
    It's common for run defenses to talk in such a fashion about the big plays, but those are the ones that kill the per-game average and tend to swing games. Just about any team failing in run defense can say the same thing.
    The Colts have given up six runs of 10 yards or more, including Forte's 50-yard touchdown and Peterson's 29-yard run on his first carry of the game.
    Jones-Drew has a big history against Indianapolis, with 200 all-purpose yards in three of his four games against the Colts. He's run for a 7.2-yard average against them, scoing four touchdowns on the ground and five total.

More...

2. whutaboutGump

whutaboutGump Naw mean?

We're doomed, DOOMED I TELL YOU!

LOL

[​IMG]

3. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

You are doomed. We're gonna be fine because unlike the rest of the AFC S our run game is looking outstanding and our run D is a brick wall. GL without ya boy for the next 4-6 also

4. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

Bengals RB didnt have many probs running our our D last week. they got so far behind they had to stop running and pass.

Our real Run Defence will be tested in Week 4.

5. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

Yessir, hopefully we can hold AP down. If we hold Minnesota under 100 yards then we're the real deal on the run defense. That game will probably be about 2 hours long.

6. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

That's the problem. The Colts LOOK to prevent big runs. Other teams know you have to tackle.

7. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

I'm sure Goddell will alter the rules making rushes gashing the colt D for 10+ yards result in a point for the colts. When teams revert to throwing the ball against those midgets Goddell will just start awarding the colts the ball at the opponent 40 after every punt. And if Manning still is not happy they will force the dolts opponents to play the Real Men of Genuis at DE.

8. A Fightin'Titan

A Fightin'Titan Starter

What? Cincinnati didn't have a problem running on us? I'll agree that we didn't completely shut them out running but they didn't do it at their will. Perry had 21 for 64. That IS NOT having no problems. And come to think of it his longest run which resulted in a TD came when we were a man short on defense and Tully whiffed on the tackle for a loss. Oh and being down by ten doesn't mean that Cincinnati had to abandon the run by any means. Only after the blocked punt/touchdown in the fourth quarter ( yeeeeeeaaaaaa Bulluck) were they actually IMO out of reach.

Don't take anything from our defense. We are the best in the league behind only Balt. who played once. I am sure we will get lit up once or twice this year but not much more than that. I just hate all the negativity .... give credit where it's due.

9. A Fightin'Titan

A Fightin'Titan Starter

And the Colts are going to get torched on the ground assuming at least one of the Jags RB's is healthy ........ GO JAGS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar