Colts sign FA DT Johnathan Hankins

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Tricky, Apr 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

ass_kisser_mug.jpg

• LOL LOL x 1
  2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

No kidding... good for him

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  3. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Titan fans excuse after 5-11 2017: "but we don't have elite players", "Nobody wins the superbowl in March", "Jags spend the most and suck".

Nobody is advocating overpaying for scrubs. But there are plenty of people that are willing to pay asking price for solid players. We did it for Logan Ryan, why not do it for others?

We have money to frontload contracts while not disrupting future deals for Lewan/Mariflota. You can't do nothing now because you have to pay someone in 3 years.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  4. Johnnyb

Johnnyb RTR

It doesn't matter where you get players, FA or the draft, as long as you evaluate talent well, pay them appropriately, and bring in the right guys. Assembling a playoff caliber team is a mix of all of these things. But you also have to balance the amount you spend so you can contend year after year and lock up your important players rather than getting stuck with bad contracts and having to release good players. Teams that don't participate much in FA, usually don't have a franchise QB they're having to pay, so they can spend other places.

One thing I know our FO does is grades free agents and assigns them a value based on their play and fit. They'll offer the player if they feel like they add something to our team. That doesn't mean that player will take that offer, it's just what we think they're worth. They might think they're more valuable, and another team might agree. Doesn't mean they are to us.

With that said, I think Hankins is a better player than Sly by a good margin. He's also young and shows more explosion, and better against the run.

Hankins was obviously holding out for $10M or more, and the FO wasn't willing to pay that and moved on to the next option. Sly's contract is also much more team friendly.

5. titantrusince82

titantrusince82 I'm down with the Titans for better or worse

I don't pay my mortgage with Titans dollars. I have not problem blowing my Titan money like Floyd Mayweather if I want.

• LOL LOL x 3
  6. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

Because it's not Madden. Maybe they just aren't J Rob's type of guys. And paying an above average player good money hurts negotiations for future players.

7. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

I love the argument anytime we don't sign a free agent "because this isn't Madden" lol.

It's not like i'm here pounding the table for the Titans to sign every high priced free agent. It's obvious we could sign some of these guys, we just went the usual Titan way and cheaped out.

8. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

Or maybe other losers did their usual thing and overpaid.

9. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

Maybe the cap is too high

• LOL LOL x 1
  10. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

What's it like thinking your beloved Titans are the best football team on the planet, honestly I'm curious?

• LOL LOL x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar