Colts to Tag Mathis

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by 2ToneBlueBlood, Mar 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Glad Mathis is gone, I don't think he'd do well without a Freeney on the other side.

2. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I just can't see Freeney back with the Colts. $19,035,000 cap hit this year, on his final year. He's came out and said he does NOT want to play in the 34. Colts have Mathis and Jerry Hughes (who played 34 in college, and is only 23).

Then if the Colts trade/release Peyton, his $17,000,000 cap hit will be partly/completely gone. That's over $36M that will be opened up. Allow the Colts to sign Garcon, Mathis (long-term), Gonzalez, Wayne, Tamme, Diem, Saturday, and Foster if wanted.

If I was the Colts, i'd be looking to DEAL not release Peyton Manning. Yes, he has a huge contract (74M+ over the next 4 years). If you release a player you still have to pay for a portion of the contract. Colts could call a team like the Redskins and straight up say Peyton for a 2nd. Redskins have plenty of cap space (and Dan "overspend" Snyder) to pay Peyton. Colts now free up all of Peytons deal, and add another 2nd.

Now, keep Garcon, Mathis, and Tamme. Bye-bye Wayne. Go young, and build around Luck. In the draft (2nd round) like at Jefferey or Stephen Hill as a potential #1 to pair with Garcon. Attempt to sign Saturday (1yr deal), and draft a 3rd round center, who can replace Saturday next year.

On defense, since Colts are switching to 34... they'll need alot. You have your LB core with Mathis - Angerer - Brackett - Hughes. But will need depth. You could use a NT, and improvements at DE. Secondary is trash, Bethea & Bullitt were eaten up all year, but also had terrible corners... but the entire defense was (and they were banged up). Luckily, if the Colts free themselves from Peyton and Freeney they'll have money to spend for an entire rebuild.

Doesnt matter though... because the :coltssuk:

3. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

No team is going to trade for an injured guy worth 22million that everyone knows that the Colts are going to release him

4. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

[​IMG]

or if only Al Davis was still alive...

I agree man. Any team who trades for him would be stupid, but anythings possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar