Comcast yanking NFL Network

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TitanJeff, May 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I finally bite the bullet and upgrade to digital only to have to now pay $5 more a month to get the NFL Network.

And it's not even going to be shown in HD.

2. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

Is the extra $5 strictly for the NFL Network or is it for a sports package that the NFL Net is now a part of. It's available as part of a premum sports package up here... An HD version has yet to be offered. Hopefully my cable supplier will add the HD channel in the fall before the season starts. It is great though, when all else fails and you're bored you can always throw on the NFL Network... Damn how did man ever survive with just the three networks and absolutely no all-sports stations (it's like the 1970's were the dark ages).

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Right. It's now part of a package with NBA TV and a couple of college channels.

4. Honestly, I get it with the basic DirecTV package and never watch it...

I don't really blame Comcast for moving it. Lots of customers don't want to pay extra for it when they won't watch it.

5. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

How can you never watch it? Right now they're airing The NY Jets episode of America's Game. Great stuff.

Up here the NFL Network is part of a package with the NHL Net, Raptors TV, and other assorted sporty fair. I actually bit the bullett and now receive every specialty channel offered by our cable provider. From Book TV and the Military Channel, to the Aboriginal Peoples Television Network, I get it all... and yes it seems that 99% of the time there's still nothing interesting on.

6. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

The problem with Comcast is that they want to charge extra for the digital service at all.

It is the same scam the phone companies engage in when they charge extra for "dial tone" service. It actually costs the phone companies extra to service a rotary dial line, and the analog cable signals eat much more bandwidth than the digital signals.
    If Comcast were required to keep analog service indefinitely, they would have to start spending money to build out their network.
    But, instead of doing that, they are banking on a 40-60% savings in bandwidth over the next few years as they force customers to digital service.
    Digital is saving them money, and they are not passing it along to the consumer.

Only by letting AT&T or Verison bring in FTTH will the cable giants feel the pinch and actually have to start competing in the marketplace.

As it is now, their "free digital" modems are just part of that scam. When I saw that Boomerang and NFLN were channels they wanted to nickel and dime the customers on, even after paying an additional $15/month for "digital basic" I decided against paying extra for anything from Comcast.

Once a real alternative to broadband Internet is available, I will quit paying them for any services.

7. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

:beerbang:
    Don't forget to write your elected officials...

8. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

I got DishNetwork, but theres a downside bc i dont got Versus

9. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

comcast is bad. I look forward to the day when I no longer need anything from them. I don't feel up to telling tales, but trust me... I have a feeling Slackmaster and Hoffa understand... I'll try AT&T... once my local municipality "gets over it"... so to speak... Comcast tried to strong arm me to digital. I cut back my service to 13 channels in protest. Who needs TV when I have goTitans? :brow:

10. I really hope AT&T gets to enter the market. Frankly, there's no reason not to let them as far as I'm concerned. And competition is a good thing...

I doubt I'd switch from DTV anyway, but I have Bellsouth phone service and DSL already, so it's a good option.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar