Comcast yanking NFL Network

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TitanJeff, May 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

And you will pay something like $59 or $69/mo for speeds around 500K-768K.

It's an absolute last resort if you have nothing else.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

So I guess I could go back to BellSouth DSL but I cancelled all landlines and assume I would need to add one back.

3. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

Whoa there.

It isn't a matter of "unlimited bandwidth" but rather "truth in advertising."

If they sell the service as being always on, up to 6 MBps, then my monthly bandwidth should be permitted to be a full month at 6 Mbps.

They are not setting a limit, and telling their subscribers "this is what you get for the money"

What they are doing is taking the top users, and throwing them off of the network, whether they are causing a drain on the network or not.
    It is a completely arbitrary policy, and they will admit that.

But they will not say "you get 200 GB per month for $50" so you can compare that with a DSL provider who might sell you a slower throughput, but greater monthly bandwidth for the same price.

Forget about blaming the user for "running servers without a business account." I know first hand you don't have to be doing that to get their attention. All you have to do is use the service more than they would like to let you.

Even if you pay for a "business class" level of service, they still have the same "acceptable use" policy on those accounts.

If there is always the option of going to a fiber optic service, then it is far less likely that the cable providers will try to bully the users by means of an arbitrary "acceptable use policy."

4. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

My Comcast is pretty good I have to say. I get around 8Mbps down all the time. They also have that powerboost feature which ramps you to 12-16 down for large file downloads.

Maybe you guys need your lines upgraded or something.

Interesting comment by SK...typically DSL's advertised speeds can only be had if you are less that a mile away from the switch. If you're over that, you'll never see max speed.

What I didn't like about BellSouth/AT&T, is you have to have long distance and sign contracts to get the best deal on DSL service. No thanks. And it's still slower and more expensive for "equivalent" speed.

I just hope cable brings the HD on. They've done fiber to the neighborhood in Knoxville, but they will probably wait until it absolutely has to be done to send it to the home.

5. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Whoa there.:ha:

Sure.

Unlimited use is like when there was dial-up hourly and then unlimited use dial-up. You still got booted off, right? Even with unlimited use. Just meant your access time was unregulated. I suppose you were welcome to come through the door anytime you wanted, but they could still show you out when they wanted. It's probably the same, but I'd have to imagine that use in the neighborhood will affect what your speed is at any given time.

I'll say that cable doesn't have the same relationship to dial-up that DSL does, which is still limited by modem capacity that results in unfriendly dump-offs, unless something has changed with them, which I don't see how.

6. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Eh, maybe it's different where we live.

7. Sunshine

Sunshine Camp Fodder

At least for a while. The agreement calls for AT&T to offer "naked DSL" for $20/month within no longer than one year from, I believe, last November or December. I don't recall reading any details about speed, etc., so you may not end up any better off, but at least you wouldn't be required to have a landline. It may be worth a call to BellSouth/AT&T to see what the timetable is.

8. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Theoretically your local power company could pipe television through the electrical grid. The same line that carries the electrical load to power your house could one day bring signal to your tv and/or converter. The technology is there. The main hold up is municipality franchise laws. I'm not sure of every detail but I'd simply love it if I could get TV like that. I'm dying to get some programing. I just won't go back to Communistcast.

9. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

PSSHHH! If DirecTV has that package for 100$ a month, they lost me from not saying anything about it. I was paying 170 a month.
    Phone line, crappy 1.5mbps internet, crappy directv that messes up any time there's a rain drop, with no movie channels or anything. 170.
    I have Charter again, because they offer better internet for the same price. What I was paying for 1.5mbps, i'm paying for 5 mbps now. And i've got movie channels, all for about 70 dollars less per month. No need for a phone line now since I dont have dsl.
    BUT I remember why I hate Charter. Within having the service for 15 days, they already say I owe them 115$ and it's 32 days over-due. They're notorious for doing these things and it's the reason I left them in the first place.

10. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

me neither
    I used it the other day to record the Bills/Titans AFC WildCard game
    but that was one of the 1/2 dozen times this year I've turned it on

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar