Compensatory draft picks

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by TitanJeff, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

We should hear about these next month. Losing Bell, Odom, LaBoy, Starks and Hartsock should land the Titans at least a couple of picks. I believe signing Scott will offset Starks.

Jacob Bell signed a 6yr/36 mil contract
    Antwan Odom signed a 5yr/29.5 mil contract
    Travis LaBoy signed a 5yr/22 mil contract

Anyone want to take a shot at what the Titans get? I'm hoping a 4, 5 and 6.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I see scott and bell off setting each other. Still with starks, odom and laboy we are talking about 2 2nd rd picks originally and a 3rd. I think a 4, 5, 6 at least.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

The nfl has never revealed it's formula for compensatory picks but those who have studied past picks have ascertained that contract value and playing time have the most influence.

Last year the contract cutoff for picks was $800K a year in contract value. All our lost guys fit that requirement.

Scott cancels out bell since comp picks are based on net loss of players in free agency.

Starks $3M a year deal, played in 16 games but only started 4 games. 5th rd pick..

Odom $6M a year deal 12 games played. 4th rd pick..

Laboy $4M a year deal 12 games played. 5th rd pick.

Hartstock $2M a year deal. 11 games played. 7th rd pick.

So i'm hoping for 4, 5, 5, 7.

4. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Might be closer to a 4,5,6 and 7 as a guess but we should really get two 4ths IMO. Just because Bell and Scott are both OGs doesn't really mean they cancel each other out. Bell got a couple mil more per year which based on the unknown formula should mean we got the lesser player. Bell should be the guy that gives us a 4th rounder along with Odom. Scott would probably cancel out LaBoy. Typically since there doesn't always appear to be a lot of logic behind this we might be lucky to get a 4,5,5,7.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Bell's contract was $1.2M higher not $2M higher.

Bell got 6 years for $36M and scott got 4 years for $19.5M.

If you don't think they cancel each other out than why would you think we will get later picks?

Odom had the similar contract to bell but odom didn't play all the games. Scott did. Who else would they use starks & laboy had smaller deals than scott had.

7. Scott's deal won't cancel out Bell's. Bell got much more money over the life of the contract and more than double the guaranteed money. Scott's deal probably cancels out LaBoy's or Starks'.

I'm guessing 4, 4, 5, 6

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I agree with Star that what we logically deserve to get is 4,4,5,6 but what I was saying I think we will end up getting might be more like a 4,5,6,7. These comp picks never seem to make much sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar