Completion % Locker vs Luck

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by 2ToneBlueBlood, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. citizenthom

citizenthom Rookie

When I watch Locker I think of the "bad Brett Favre":

1. He has an absolute rocket arm--and his receivers haven't adjusted yet. Every single game there were 2-4 passes where he hit the receiver quickly and right on the numbers and the throw was so hard it bounced off their hands. These guys are going from a classic "touch" passer (Hasselbeck) to a baseball thrower. If both they and he can adjust the completion rate will get better. If not things will only get worse.

2. Locker trusts his arm too much. He tries to thread needles he shouldn't thread like Favre often did and that's where he gets PDs and INTs a lot. Favre made enough plays with those throws that people could overlook many of the times he did't. Hopefully Locker will learn to pick his spots better with a better OC/QB coach.

3. Locker also tries to make too much happen under pressure, e.g. flip passes to nobody, scrambling sideways when he should just take off and get 1-3 yards. And that got chronically worse when the O-line went to pot this year.

I think Locker's issues are all fixable, but if we don't get our OC hire right and shore up the O-line then the kid might be ruined in two more years.

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Thats a pretty accurate assessment.

3. JCBRAVE

I really do feel he's worth hanging on to, even if it takes til his 3rd or 4th year to hit his stride.

I think when he does "get it", he'll be a very desirable QB.

I'm not sure if he'll have many 4000-yard seasons, but I've always said quality over quantity.

If he's throwing TD's and we're winning games, I'm happy. McNair never dazzled anyone with his passing stats. So numbers don't mean everything. Look at Philip Rivers and all his stats, where are his trophies?

4. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

While i disagree with the assessment that Locker will ever be a fine QB, I do appreciate that you are realistic about things.

5. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

During McNair's first year as a starter, his comp % was 52%. As we all know he got much better and by comparing stats Locker is ahead of where he was at that time.

I don't understand the impatience of all these Locker haters. We knew going in that he was a project and wouldn't immediately come in and dazzle us. Heck, he hasn't even played a full season yet and some people are calling for change already. Because of such media hype on Luck and RGIII we've come to want instant success instead of waiting for a guy to develop, when the instant success is the exception and not the rule.

Let's wait to judge Jake until he can play a full season, under one OC, with our entire offensive line healthy, with a running game that has finally found it's stride, and a healthy #1 WR in Kenny Britt.

6. JiminyBillyBob

JiminyBillyBob Pro Bowler

Sorry, but I just don't think Luck is that good. I am not saying Locker is going to be the next Brady or Manning, but he will be a pretty good QB. Sorry for not buying in on all the Andrew Luck hype.

7. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I'm not in favor of giving up on him just yet. But if we get more of the same in 2013 I don't see how we can automatically give him a 4th year. Not saying dump him, but we definitely should be looking to bring in some legitimate competition at that point.

We can't afford to wait around 4 or 5 years for our QB to become good, yet again. We just did that and look where it got us.

8. JCBRAVE

Titans were never suppose to do anything in 2012, this was a learning year for almost everyone. Tough schedule showed us what we need to work on.

Ayers, Brown, McCarthy, McCourty, Verner, Casey, Morgan, Locker, Wright, Williams, Cook, all of our key players are basically young guys still feeling their way around.

Locker has til the end of his contract to be our QB. If he's still blowing it in 2014 he'll be gone shortly after.

9. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I just think if he's still not getting it done after year 3 he's most likely not going to suddenly turn into a great QB in year 4 and beyond. And great is what we should be going after at that position. I'm just sick of waiting around for a legit QB. If we give Locker 4 years and he still doesn't work out then that means we spent the better part of a decade waiting around for a couple of inaccurate QBs with poor decision-making to "get it".

10. JCBRAVE

Don't worry, he'll surprise you. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar