Computer questions again....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bobo, Apr 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

:ha:

I'm at a loss for words then

(but I never get tired of hearing of people's struggles with AntiViral programs and how they are complete CPU hogs .... and they still can't keep you secure from infestation. Some virus' adapt and no Virus program can keep up with the new ones that are being coded until AFTER the software companies learn of them and update their code)

just tell your folks that if they want a computer that won't crash, won't get viral sickness, don't need defragmenting, don't need registry cleanups, etc.. - thy name is Macintosh :brow:

2. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

Norton definitely uses up more system resources than some other solutions, but if you only use the av software and not the "system" package it is usually pretty manageable. I've never used AVG before, but everything I've read on it indicates that its detection rates are much lower than commercial packages.

3. Broken Record

Looking up some stats on AV software I kept coming across this one. Anyone ever use it? It gets a lot of good buzz from some techies. I'd never even heard of it...

http://www.nod32.com/home/home.htm

4. I've heard NOD32 very good (haven't used it myself), though not free. Though I have to question any software named after Neil O'Donnell... :ha:

As for AVG, the detection rates are supposedly a bit below Norton's, but not signifigantly. And certainly not enough (in my opinion) to make it a lesser choice that Norton for home users.

5. Broken Record

Yeah, I think anything named after a backup quarterback has to be in question.:ha: I think it's about $40/year which is on the pricey side.

I've got an old desktop that my 4 year old uses to play games on nick jr. and playhouse disney, etc. and the Norton just ran out on it. I might give AVG a go on it and see how it works.

6. smili

smili Starter

I use Avast for virus. does a good job and free
    Mozilla Firefox for browser is good.
    I use Eudora for Email to make sure stuff designed to hit MS Outlook doesn't get me.
    For spyware I use adaware and spybot search and destroy.

There's a pretty good summary of programs at download.com with evaluations of the most popular stuff.

7. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

You should hear the abuse I take for being a Mac user from the recording forums :ha:

They claim that Macs are too expensive, and then talk about all the downtime they have trying to stop the PC madness and losing client audio files. Now just how expensive is THAT?

One guy just spent more money on another motherboard after his burned up than I did in my entire system.

Every time I read a post whining over all the things you listed above, I really tick 'em off by posting the Name Game:

Apple Apple mo mapple
    Banana fanna bo bapple
    Fee fie foe fapple
    Apple!

8. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Thanks!!! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar