Concerns Going Forward

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by pettso, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

We need to get a big physical back in here to split carries with CJ like Lendale did in the smash and dash days.The bottom line is CJ is not big enough to be an every down back pounding the ball up the middle and he already may be worn down at this point but his career could be extended by getting someone like Fran Gore to split carries.

2. KelvisKblam

KelvisKblam TITANic Nerd

I agree with most everything that's been stated here. The offensive line has been horrendous in the run game this year, and much of that is the fault of the coaches for there personnel and schematic decisions. Its critical to get some better players for both lines this offseason.

That being said, we've all been fans of this franchise long enough to know that Chris Palmer isn't going anywhere, he will be back next year, at minimum. That's not to say I don't partially wish they'd go get someone better, but it just ain't gonna happen. Like someone said, that would probably have an adverse effect on Locker's development. More importantly, firing coaches after one moderately successful (shortened) season isn't the way most teams, and certainly not the Titans, do business.

Even if we are frustrated by an abysmal loss last week and a generally schitzo team and feel that there should be enough talent to get into the playoffs in such a crazy year, for most people, this team has already overachieved in a rebuilding year. I bet you the coaches are clinging to that logic. If you think about it, we could have gone 4-12 this season and it wouldn't really have come as a big letdown or surprise based on expectations.

However, I am just as pissed as any of you about the way things have gone lately. Its almost worse to have a team like this who one week plays like a playoff team and the next looks like a bottom feeder than to have a consistently bad team. Its clear that despite our relative success this season, we're still in rebuilding mode. That must start with the O and D lines, and the coaches had better make adjustments accordingly.

3. pettso

pettso Starter

This is actually a very good point I didn't really think of. Having Locker learn a 2nd NFL system in as many years is probably detrimental to his development.

What really pisses me off is that because we weren't expected to make the playoffs this year, everyone's gonna chalk it up and be like OK nothing wrong here folks, moving on to next year. The team was good enough to win and make it to the playoffs - if they don't, it's because of a multitude of issues that need to be addressed.

4. pettso

pettso Starter

The difference is they aren't the face of the organization. Guys don't look at Logan Mankins and James Jones as leaders of the team. Chris Johnson is our "superstar."

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Anybody notice last game where the commentators called C.J. and LenDale "Thunder & Lightning"? Thought that was pretty sad.

6. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

I listen too Mike and Frank but that is sad. Titans destroyed Thunder & Lightning

From what I can tell Palmer was hired too develop Locker. As much as I dislike a whole lot that Palmer has, IMO, underachieved on MM seems too be judging him on Lockers development.

YMMV

7. RTH

RTH Meh...

I would like to see two things addressed and improved for next season - the lines.

Offensive and Defensive lines.

Improve the offensive line, our running game will improve. Our running game improves, the passing game will be seriously helped.

Improve the defensive line, the rest of the defense will follow. Maintain the running attack of the opposing team and either get to the QB or pressure him, the secondary/linebackers will improve.

Fix the lines.

That is all I believe we truly need next season. I would expect vast improvements in the team if those two things are done.

• High Five High Five x 3
  8. RTH

RTH Meh...

I agree completely with this. Palmer will remain the offensive coordinator until Locker is good to go - and awhile after that.

Again, improve the line and Palmer's offensive schemes may not be that bad.

Debatable.

But his impact on Locker cannot be denied. He is a good QB Coach.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. EnglandTitan66

EnglandTitan66 "The Plump Prince"

I think you should be banned. This is eminently far too sensible.

You could really go several pages on ALL what needs fixing but this is where it all happens ; execution on offense , containment on defense. Simple equation but often overlooked.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Then he should be a QB coach and we should hire someone else to be our offensive co-ordinator.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar