Consequences of dropped passes

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Aug 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

Dropped passes have been a problem for the Titans through their first two preseason games.

But the consequences of those actions are different based on just which player is making the mistakes.

For a wide receiver like Kenny Britt, a former first-round draft pick who’s entering his fifth season in the league, the downside of drops – if they continue — is that he might see himself temporarily slide down the depth chart.

“We have enough depth where we’ll put someone else in at some point,” Titans offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains said Tuesday. “You can’t continue to make mistakes and drop balls. I’m not saying we’re going to demote anyone at this point, but we’re deep enough where the reality is that it can start happening.”

For an undrafted tight end like Jack Doyle, who dropped what should have been a completion for a first down early in last Saturday’s preseason loss to Cincinnati, the consequences can be far more serious.

Doyle is simply trying to win a roster spot, and since he doesn’t have the pedigree or the proven talent of a player like Britt, every mistake is magnified.

“I think Jack Doyle to this point has kind of been the guy that’s been the sleeper of camp, that’s done a really good job battling for a roster spot,” Loggains said. “I’ve been really pleased with him. The disappointing thing is when you drop a ball on third down and you’re playing with (the first team) and you’re an undrafted free agent.

“He’s a guy you’ll give a second chance to, to see how he responds to it. But when you’re given the opportunity, it doesn’t matter what you’ve done in practice. It’s a production-based business and if you drop balls under the lights, it’s going to stand out.”

Share on Facebook

Posted In: Team News, Training Camp

Source: Titans Insider

2. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

the consequences of a dropped pass should be 100 reps on the juggs machine for every 1 dropped pass.

KB's got 200, he better get started

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

The consequence should be death.

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. madeupdreams

madeupdreams Starter

We play Draconian Rules up in here!

5. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

Delanie Walker is back and the first thing the media mentioned was his stone hands.Then we have Kenny Britt dropping passes.Jack Doyle drops what should've been an easy first down.

I do hope once the regular season starts that we don't have these guys dropping passes in key situations.If Jake puts the ball on the money it won't be his fault.

6. Brew City

Brew City Case Race Champion

Upside is how Nate and Damien have been playing. No drops and making really tough catches. If there continues to be drops I can see D Willy getting some playing time and making the most of it. He's looked really good so far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar