Considering a MAC

Discussion in 'Gear' started by ammotroop, Feb 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ammotroop

ammotroop Airforce MAN

I am debating weather or not I should go buy a MAC and if I should get the macbook or Macbook pro.

I have had my Sony for bout three years and it is time for an upgrade. I have heard nothing but good things about Macs, and I am close to making the purchase.

I know many of you are pro-apple or Anti-Apple, can you tell me the pro's and cons of getting a MAC? Thanks for the advice.

2. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

I'm in the market myself for a new laptop. I'm probably going to go with a 15.4" MBP. I'll use it primarily for work and school. It all depends on what you want to do with your laptop. If you're a gamer, then I'd definitely head a different direction, but as far as other tasks it's hard to beat the simplicity and user friendliness of a MAC.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

It's all about what you will be doing with it. If you are just going to use it mainly to write papers, listen to music and surf the web, you can get by with a MacBook. If you plan on doing any photo or video editing, look at the Pro.

I'd consider going refurb at the Apple site. There are a few deals on eBay and craigslist.com on older models that still are under warranty. If that's the case, you can have it transferred to you and then extend it with AppleCare which you can purchase up to the day the original one-year warranty expires.

4. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

don't make any purchase just yet
    new MBP's are in the pipeline
    it's expected that the line will get Core i3, i5 or maybe even i7 updates, which will do much more than the current Core2Duo line, it will also drop the c2d prices quite a bit
    I've seen reports that people are dropping their c2d mbp (macbook pro's) on ebay /craiglist in anticipation of the newer units, which are said to go through a major redesign much like the 27" iMac did a few months ago

and as far as gaming goes, I've seen people running intense games like Crysis on MBP's using Bootcamp (as opposed to virtual machine's like Parallels)

if all you need is a Macbook, there have been some good deals lately on them. they dipped into the $800 range recently.
    keep an eye on Macrumors.com

5. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

I must admit, I have a biased opinion when it comes to this considering I am microsoft certified partner, (MCP) but there isn't anything a MAC does that a PC doesn't do. If you get a PC, use Mozilla firefox w/ web of trust and ad block plus and 99 percent of the time you will not get a virus. Since Macs make up less than 5-10% PCs out there, the script kiddies in East Europe don't bother coding exploits for Macs. The rest is really aesthetics and overhead. That explains the price gap between Macbooks and PCs.

I have been using Ubuntu for nearly 2 years now on an older machine and I have no complaints whatsoever. It screams on my old machine and rivals windows 7 and all of the software is free and just like a mac, you wont catch a virus running Ubuntu.

I really have nothing against macs, except their price. I can't justify paying that much for a machine when I can get a windows or linux machine with the same specifications for half the price. That's some food for thought for your next purchase. Good luck in whatever you do. :)

6. I addition to what you've heard here, I'd add in the whole issue of viruses and spyware. No idea if you've you've ever had any problems with them on your PC, but at this point there's basically no threat on the Mac side of things. That could always change, but to this point it is pretty safe. And no Windows registry problems, either.

As for MacBook vs. MacBook Pro, I'd consider what size screen you want. I like a 15" screen so I bought a last generation Pro at a big discount on Amazon. Like Puck said, you could wait until the new MacBook Pros are announced and buy the current generation at a discount.

As for pros and cons, there really aren't many cons to the Mac as long as you don't have any PC-only software you need to run (which is still doable with Bootcamp or VirtualBox). It just costs more up front (arguably no more expensive in the long run).

7. BigD73OT

BigD73OT NFL Free Agent

I'm getting one today....Just for video editing and stuff.

8. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Unless you're doing serious photo-editing, video editing, etc... save your money.

Not worth it. They're not very convenient- which you find out quickly using even the simplest Mac products (itunes, ipods, etc). Mostly their incompatible with everything other than what makes them money problem is what irritates me most.

iTunes/Ipods alone have erased the thought of Mac from my mind for a long time, I think. I was right on the edge just a month or so ago. Then once I looked in to laptops- I didnt look at one twice. Too pricey for what you receive. Takes more than cute webcam tricks to convince me.

9. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

I was told using ubuntu on a PC eliminates the threat of virisus and spyware...don't know if that's true...?

10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Any rumors as to when this will happen? I'm in the market and can wait another few months.

Also, will CS4 be able to run on this new processor?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar