Considering a MAC

Discussion in 'Gear' started by ammotroop, Feb 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

It is amusing that 99% of all people who complain about PCs are MAC users. No wonder they are considered pretentious.

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

And I've used my 4 year old PC from gaming to photoshopping and never had an issue. But hey, it's a PC it must be evil, right?

3. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Logic will never work here. It's kind of like asking someone why they bought an Underarmor shirt. They'll blab about how you get what you pay for, even if you show them that the materials are the exact same as used by the much cheaper brands.

Once you make a trendy decision, you've gotta stick up for it. Just the way it works. Or admit to being victim of trendy hype. And who does that?

Avvie- you are pretty computer illiterate if you can't use a PC without having "constant crashes".
    I run CS4, Sony Vegas, Adobe Audition, etc on my 4 year old PC with zero issues... guarantee it cost about half of what the Mac labeled specs would have.
    I honestly can't remember the last time my computer "crashed". It had to at least be 10 years ago.
    And the only programs I have that have crashed have been Firefox and iTunes (go figure)- iTunes being the most notorious program I have for crashing. Or just running badly.

Again- if you're professionally editing photos, videos, etc- by all means. Get a Mac. If not- you're throwing money away. If you have it- great. I don't.

and lol @ the monitors being worth every penny. It's a monitor. Not a graphics card. It'll do what it's told basically.

Every corporation (outside the design world) uses PC. From top to bottom. I wonder why? You'd think if they crashed all the time that all the top corporations in America would make the switch.

4. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

Good grief you're touchy! The OP asked about getting a Macintosh, not a PC. I was answering his question directly. Good on ya for not having a problem with your PC, but it has nothing to do with the OP.

5. Tuckfro42

Um... that's probably because they started out as PC users and when they switched to Mac, realized how crappy their PCs really were.

6. Tuckfro42

This is all you had to say.

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Or they just can't use a computer properly.

8. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I think everyone here is correct to a point.
    I run my Windows machine all day at work but run my Macs at home - they simply operate in a manner that is more enjoyable to me..
    Audio/Video editing is a Mac no-brainer.
    And although they are probably all the same but I have never once had a Mac drive fail but I have had half a dozen PC drives fail in the past few years. Very frustrating to lose all your files or at the very least have to extract files from a failing drive.

9. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

It's a rare occassion, but I've got to side with Gloat... to a degree.

I'm not a complicated computer user, but I use them a lot. I got through college and grad school using PCs, and didn't have a "crash" or "virus" issue since highschool (aka the 90s) when I learned not to download and run random programs. True, I don't use IE, I'm a firefox fan, and I don't do tons of complicated programs. I've used my computers for a lot of word and excel document creation, a lot of internet browsing/research/etc..., and the occassional incredibly old computer game (just meaning nothing requiring much of a graphics card).

I will say, I was very impressed that my Inspiron laptop made it through three years of law school. Since I took it to every class and used it whenever I studied, as well as for recreation when I wasn't studying, I'd say I actively used it an average of 14 hours every day, for three years. I mean every day, as an average, too. I definitely had days weeks where I averaged 19 hours a day. Never had a real problem with it.

My wife got a new Macbook midway through second year, and in less than three years, the hard drive died, and something else that I didn't understand. Mac wanted $300 just to look at it (not to fix it). That's after it cost twice what my laptop cost.

In terms of simplicity and ease of use, that's a personality preference for me. I've been using Windows since the mid 90s, so it's pretty straightforward to me. Apple is harder for me to use, it's less natural. I get that some people really like it though.

I also understand that some people use their computers for much more complex things. I don't do photoshop or video editing or any of those things, so I can't say what PCs are capable of v. Macs.

What I can say is that I have always believed in the "you get what you pay for" school of thought, but I don't think it's true with computers if you are an average user. I just got a new PC laptop, after retiring my old one after 3 hard years of use and a year and a half of lesser use, and I'm very happy with it too.

I have yet to see any justification for the price premium.

• High Five High Five x 2
  10. Most PC users, who have never owned a Mac, don't realize what life is like on the other side. Meanwhile, many Mac users have had to put up with Windows and understand exactly why they prefer Macs.

As someone who owns both and fixes both, I can definitively tell you that people are far more likely to have problems with a PC than a Mac. Hardware problems happen to everyone (though less for Apple historically) because that's electronics. But Windows just has so many things that go wrong it isn't funny. Last month I saw close to 10 people in the span of 2 weeks who had a fake anti-virus program that they couldn't get rid of. And some of them weren't even easy for me (a professional). Not surprisingly, it's all PCs. I can't tell a single one of them where it came from or how to prevent it from happening again because there are so many potential vectors for infection. Most had no glaring security problems.

Average users (the majority of computer users) don't know how to secure their computer or their data. They sure as hell don't know how to fix it when something goes wrong. Most people just aren't technologically savvy enough (or have time) to keep on top of all that or certainly go digging through the registry. But on a Mac, there's not much to worry about.

I can tell you that the majority of my PC calls are fixing problems while the vast majority of my Mac calls are teaching people how to do what they want to do. It's very telling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar