Cook will play more...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titan_fan_4ever, Oct 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCTitanfan84

NYCTitanfan84 Special Teams Standout

Couldnt co-sign this more. Loved the way he took accountability

2. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

I bet Fisher would explode during a press-conference if someone said:
    Coach Fisher, Rex Ryan has openly taken responsibility and holding himself accountable for the team not being prepared last week. Why is it that you are in the same situation with your team, yet everyone seems to be at fault except you and your staff. Care to explain that one, Coach Fisher?

3. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

You forgot, "Fire Cecil."

4. SifuSoul

SifuSoul Camp Fodder

...Yeah, no. In 99, Wycheck was our leading receiver. Made the Super Bowl.

Admittedly, in 2002 when we made the AFCC, Mason was the leading receiver, but he also had nearly double the receptions than anyone else on the team, which to me, indicates that we just had a fantastic weapon, not necessarily that the success was based on spreading it around to the receivers.

Besides, our receivers get plenty of opportunities. They just let them slip away, and occasionally hit them in the face (though in all seriousness, I do hope we resign Bo Scaife.)

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Let me know what you guys think of running a spread out offense. I believe if Vince were to get in we should run a single back set with 4 WR's. The 4 WR's don't need to be WR's, but need to catch well. I'd have Gage wide right, Washington wide left, Britt in the slot and Cook in the other, with CJ or LenDale as the single back. What this would do is open things up for things to happen. I feel better about Vince hitting targets when he knows they'll be outside then when they cross the field, and if its not there the defenders are spread out so that he can scamper up field for 1st downs.. This also gives Cook a chance to exploit the mismatches he'll create. If he's in the slot he either gets a corner on him or a linebacker, either way he can beat them with size or speed. This also takes Alge off the field which is a plus.

6. SifuSoul

SifuSoul Camp Fodder

A couple problems. Vince's short ball is atrocious. I'd tee off on outside blitzes all day and have the LBs sit in a hook zone. This kills Johnson on the inside draw(except against the Texans of course). 2nd, Vince doesn't have the timing to three step drop and loft a ball for the receiver to get under it, and he won't have time to let plays develop to hit them in stride. 3rd, we're too pass happy as it is.

I see your spread with a Jumbo I form, stack Alge and Scaife on the same side of the line and run. Throw in cook to spell Scaife and Stevens to spell Alge. Repeat.

This does remind me of a nagging question I've had for a while. Why the hell does this team not have a pro-set formation?! We've got one of the best 1-2 punches in the league. I've seen them on the same field together like, 3 times in my life. Guh?

7. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

:ha: Truth.

8. JCBRAVE

SifuSoul,
    I get what your saying about Vince but I think the worst thing is to congest the middle with slow players that don't make you think deep, and keep the secondary off the line. We know Vince has the arm strength to threaten defenses with, and by using 2 slow TE's you take that away. I see why you would want multiple TE's in with Vince, but its been done and didn't equate to much. It's defiantly the safest way to go when he's in, but again teams are ready for that. I know college is college but Ive seen that work with him before (spreading the offense out, and tucking it). And I wasn't talking about CJ running draws. I would have him take hand offs and run off the guards inside hip. He has the explosiveness to get to the 2nd line of defenders and a guaranteed 5-yard gain all day. That alone should keep linebackers inside the box allowing the slot players 1st downs all day. They do this with Collins, but because he isn't a run threat it has a lesser impact. Vince would burn them with the same room they have given Kerry. Also stay in this formation often and give Vince the ability to audible to a run if the middles open.

9. SifuSoul

SifuSoul Camp Fodder

(1)Neither Jared cook or Scaife are that slow. I'd take either of them over most linebackers in the league, any day. Second, they're big targets, and god knows VY needs the largest target available. 3rd, it gives you more versatility. Scaife and Crump are both great blockers and even though Crump is not very fast, he's a perfect short option in the passing game, and would be a beautiful screen blocker. Scaife can effectively stretch the field by shielding the defender off the ball, which he does really well.

(2) I completely disagree. CJ vs DTs is why he has an abysmal stuff percentage (rushes for 0 or less yards, and its like, 39 percent of the time or something like that) in the first place. This is even worse without a FB, which your offensive formation dictates. This does remind me though, how many misdirection runs do we use? If we ran stretch runs more, we'd probably see more selling out to the sidelines, which would be perfect for a CJ misdirection. If the defense takes 1 step the wrong way, that's a TD (Once again: see the Texans.)

(3) Dinger doesn't audible at all. We saw no hot receivers during the jets game and I really don't recall seeing that many last year or the year before.

This may be moot if your new offense implies Dinger being gone.

10. JCBRAVE

^I'm not so sure your getting what I'm saying. You make some good points, but what your saying is nullified by the fact that Vince is a running threat every time he has the ball. Him in a spread out offense is different than anyone else. If the defense plays sound fundamental football then yes your points are valid, but if they play less than perfect defense then Young just runs up the middle. Then after he burns them once or twice they wise up and put the spy you speak of on him. This is good because the player is wasted freeing up someone for an easy pass. Just envision it. 2 guys to VY left, 2 to the right and one behind him. Defenders lose track of that many guys. Your giving up protection of course, but he can move around creating time. Maybe I got it all wrong and your seeing that, but I saw that win a title for VY. YouTube VY all you see for the most part is spread out offenses. Once the man gets moving all the focus is on him and not the receivers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar