Cordarrelle Patterson or Tavon Austin

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by mike75, Apr 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JiminyBillyBob

JiminyBillyBob Pro Bowler

I agree. We need a difference maker on either side of the field. I would still prefer Ansah at #10, but if he is gone and Austin is there I would take him in a heartbeat.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

wait Austin is a top 10 pick now?

3. corymiller

corymiller New Era Connoisseur

He can't run more than 2 routes. He lacks the ability to learn an NFL playbook. He's the VY of WRs.

4. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

...and he can't even run those consistently. He'll drift one direction on a 9 or a seam or whatever you want to call it and miss the ball entirely.

I think it is interesting that he went to Jared Cook's high school and the coach said he was less polished than Cook.

5. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Starter

Definitely agree.

IIRC, there was a thread awhile back that advocated trading pick #10 to the Vikings for #23 and #25. That would be the absolute best-case scenario for us. And I could see Minnesota making a blockbuster deal to get Austin. Ostensibly the value we'd get back seems ridiculous, but it's fairly even according to the trade value chart. Last year the Rams got the 45th pick for moving down from #8 to #14. All things considered, that's relatively commensurate to what we'd be getting back in the Vikings deal. We could throw in a 4th or 5th as well.

Then, we could nab Desmond Trufant and Tank Carradine.:banjump:

That would be infinitely better than anything we could get out of pick #10.

6. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Geez... would getting both their first round picks be possible??? I'd go absolutely nuts if we were able to pull that off.

I know a guy who's a Vikings fan, and I jokingly said "we'll give you our #10 pick for all your picks in the draft." He said "nah more like a 6th round pick." He was being serious too... he thinks that's all it takes to move up from 13-15 spots in the first round. LOL spoken like a true Texan fan.

Classic Texans fan... "my idea would be to trade Andre Johnson for Julio Jones straight up." AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA never gets old.

7. SlidePiece

SlidePiece Starter

I read the articles that describe him as a poor rout runner. These writers seem to be of the opinion that a WR shouldn't be taken in the first.

The first article basically says that he tips off his routs, and that he is too physical, pushes off, and could be flagged for OPI in the NFL.

The second article says that he gets pushed off of his routs because he's not physical enough. So which is it? Too physical, or not physical enough.

He is trying to show how poor of a route runner he is by diagraming a play in which he caught the ball, made the defender miss, and probably scored. Patterson may have tipped off the route there, or maybe the defender just made a good read on the play. Either way Patterson made a play and was aware of the back shoulder throw was coming because the defender cut off the fade. Wouldn't you think this guy could have, at least, come up with a play to beak down where Patterson actually looked bad. If there were a consistent problem with his route running, it seems like he could have chosen a different play.

In the 3rd article, Kiper says that he just needs to be coached up, and is improving. Says that he would probably be a top 5 pick in 2014 if he stayed at Tennessee.

And I don't even know what's going on in that 4th article. First, he says that it is concerning that Patterson improved so much form 2011 to 2012. Huh? Really? Seems like he may be alluding to the fact that it took him a full year in UTs offense to be affective. Which brings me to my third point, he is saying that Patterson played for TN in 2011. WHAT!?!? Who is this guy? You take these guys opinions seriously? The only semi reputable analyst, if you can call them that, was Kiper, and he even had more positive things to say about him than negative.

I'm not saying that Patterson is a sure thing, but a "likely bust"? Really? He may be a little rough around the edges, but it's probably because he's never had any real coaching. Look what he did under Dooley. He would have continued to improve at UT. Now, imagine what a good HC in the NFL could do with him.

8. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Well, I applaud you for reading all the articles (or the bulk of them).

I'm aware of the conflicting opinions, but most draft analysts agree he needs to improve his route running... A LOT.

9. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

We are taking a DB first round this year. Like it or lump it.

10. xhrr

xhrr Starter

I'm not pro Patterson but route running can be fixed. You can't make guys that incredible with the ball in his hands though. I have no idea about his ability to pick up a playbook or work ethic so it is moot point. All I know is he is damn good when the rock is in his hands. I hope we don't make the mistake of a 1st round WR two years in a row. 1 is fine not 2 though.

There are so many guys who come into the league as savvy polished route runners and don't do ****. We have one on the squad in D-Will. You think Calvin Johnson was a good route runner at GT? Randy Moss was considered a free lancer at Marshall. Route running is repetition and can be refined unlike elite explosiveness and the innate ability to make people miss.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar