Could Vince Young be saving himself?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Deuce Wayne, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BudAdams

BudAdams SayHelloToMyLittleFriends

2. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

He has been trying to show the world he's not a run-first QB, which will be good for him in the long run, but has been rough through the short term. I think you're probably right though, that once the playoffs are on the line he'll be more willing to just pull it down and take over with his legs. I love that he's not putting himself in situations where he's going to get nailed trying to get a 1st down, when he knows he can just throw it away and punt if he has to.

The funny thing is that he appears to me to be throwing the ball much better this year, but is still struggling. There are about 2 or 3 throws that he's improved his mechanics on this year, and it's showing in his completion percentage. But without the run threat or the long ball, defenses are able to limit him and Chow/Fisher aren't going to try to force anything in the air. With B Jones back and defenses stacking the line, look for VY to try to hit him on 20 yard post routes. They had that down nicely last year and it's one of the easier throws for him to make - right down the middle. If he hits that enough everything should soften up a bit.

3. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

His passes will come. He's making some bad throws but when he does put one on the money guys like Ben "I'm a let down" Troupe can't catch it which can't be to good for his confidense... He probably is trying to hard but you can't fault a guy for that. He just wants to win or, should I say, be part of the reason that we are winning. I'm not very worried about him. Not yet anyway...

4. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill Camp Fodder

Vince did the same thing his last season at Texas, and then in the Rose bowl he was not shy about running the ball. I prefer Vince to stay home and try to use his passing skills. 1 it keeps the defense honest cause they don't know what he is going to do. 2 it helps him in the development of his passing skills.

As long as we are winning Vince won't try to do too much on his own, but if we are beginning to let the season get away he will step it up with his feet.

5. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

I'm not going to act like i followed Vince through college.. i wish i could have, but being a couple of continents away for the last few years makes it hard to keep up with the college gig.. But hearing this from someone who has sure makes me feel better knowing that Vince has done this before and can make the choice at anytime to get back to the playstyle we drafted him for in the first place.

Throughout the preseason i have said that i'm hoping that Vince would pass a little more in the upcoming season to compliment his rushing style, but now that i've seen what thats leads to, I prefer if he keeps doing what he was doing in his rookie year.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

IMO the passing will come eventually with his play. The game should slow down for him and his decision making should improve. We saw that with Mac over the years. However, he shouldn't be trying to do anything but what comes natural. Trying to force the issue is asking for trouble.

I also don't have a problem with VY learning to get out of bounds or slide occasionally providing he isn't doing so before he gets the first down. That is just smart football.

7. terrykalaka

terrykalaka Camp Fodder

Things to note, is that vince is a quaterback, so it should be his no 1. priority and focus, to improve his passing. He has already shown he can run the ball, so the emphasis being on passing, is a very good thing for the future. Self preservation is also a key for the future. we don't need a vick-a-like getting hurt because all he does is run the ball. The other point of note is what vince has brought to the table for the whole team. A reason to play and play hard. How the hell does our defense go from one of the worst to one of the best in one year?? The defense realised at the end of last year that the team has a legitimate shot at winning some games and are playing like they think so. They know that if vince has the ball in his hands that the team can win and so they are playing in overdrive so they can get the ball into his hands. the only thing vince and our team needs is time. we make the play-offs this year, get some post-season experience and come back the following season, with some added free agents, rookies with more experience, pac-man out of our hair and we will really be one hell of a team to be reckoned with. In the meantime we are winning some games and getting in some peoples faces, does it really matter how it gets done??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar