could we be working on a switch to a 3-4 ?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Puck, Apr 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

:eh?: :obvious:

2. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

and both Safety positions
    :yes:

I'm guessing Hope can move back to Free Safety (where he played while at Pittsburgh) and Griffin plays Strong .... sound right ?

3. Fry

whatever gets rid of this

[​IMG]

4. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

Reinfeldt on the Radio this afternoon was asked if there was a scenario where Griffin, Hope and Thompson could all be on the field at the same time ..... he didn't discount the possibility

5. Fry

hopefully he means lamont running off the field while griffin is running on after LT's first big screw up of the preseason.

6. he didnt discount it because thats not his department to discuss schemes and who is on or off

7. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

If some of these moves are a potential change, this would be the test stage. I think if the coaching staff saw a few of these with potential to change, then next offseason we would see a couple of larger moves made for a definitive switch. I don't think we'd see anything major change with a few late round draft picks.

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

If we were switching to a 3-4, we would have drafted DE/OLB Spencer in rnd 1.

Some of the versatility is planned and some of it isn't.

I think it is with Griffin...he can play CB, S and help on special teams. I don't care if he plays CB or S as long as he plays well and LT doesn't play in any defense.

Paul Williams is kind of like Woolfolk in reverse. He started at CB but moved to WR where he's kind of raw. I don't care if he moves to CB or stays at WR as long as he plays well and helps the team.

Leroy Harris was versatile in college but most scouts don't think he has the lateral agility to play in space which eliminates OT and seriously hampers him at OG (unless you never ask him to pull). So while versatile in college...expect him to be a backup C for the time being unless they find he can handle OG in our system.

Antonio Johnson is a similar player. Not great lateral agility, but he's got a good quick first step and is good at tying up blockers. His ability to contain the double team is why teams call him a zero tech DT...but he can be effective in our scheme...either with his quickness attacking the OG/OT gap as a 3 tech or as the obvious double team when playing between the OC/OG. He's got some nice physical traits but has not been adept at reading plays. Hopefully he'll improve and can help the DL rotation.

Ford wasn't drafted because he's about 250lbs and plays better standing up as a rush de/olb, we took him because we're desperate at DE for a pass rusher and he's the best athlete left at that point who can rush the passer. Some compare him to Mathis...but Mathis reads plays better though Ford is about 15lbs heavier than when Mathis was drafted. He could be a situational pass rusher potentially while he adds some bulk...unless they find he can hold up at 250lbs.

Otto is a nice tackle who could probably play OG as well. I like this pick because you can't have too many developmental OL. We already have Loper and Wand to backup the tackles and Amano/Harris for OC and Geisinger/Loper for OG. Otto could potentially replace one of the backups at OT or OG and possibly compete for a starting spot relatively soon.

I think switching to a 3-4 would be easier than trying to find a good pass rushing RDE, but Schwartz is having a touch enough time coordinating a 4-3 defense!

Gut

9. i would really like to see us go to a 3-4 because it makes it harder for the RBs to run, from what i have heard in interviews, and we could bring the 4th rusher out of no where which would lead to a lot more pressure and sacks

10. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Let's just face the facts. Our whole plan around us drafting DB's is for us to move to a 1-7.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar