Cushing wins AP defensive award revote (AP)

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, May 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

Houston Texans linebacker Brian Cushing has won a revote and will keep The Associated Press NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year award he won in January. The second vote was taken after the league suspended Cushing for four games last week. He tested positive in September, violating the NFL's drug policy.

Link to full article

2. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

Wow I guess these awards are officially meaningless now. Gj AP.

3. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Amazed that people would vote for someone that they know broke the rules. Then again, a lot of them are the same ones that would let L.T. stay in the hall of fame even if he's found guilty of rape.

4. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Unfrikkinbelievable

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

The guy was really good last season. Only now we know he has to cheat to be that good.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

Brian Cushing wins DROY re-vote

[​IMG]I am not surprised that Brian Cushing held onto the defensive rookie of the year award in the Associated Press’ re-vote.

The AP reported Cushing got 18 votes, Buffalo safety Jairus Byrd got 13 to finish second and Green Bay linebacker Clay Matthews finished third with 10. Three voters were unable to return ballots and two abstained.

Why did Cushing retain his award after the positive test from September under the league’s policy against performance enhancing drugs?

I agree with this tweet from Stephanie Stradley (@StephStradley) that answers that question:
    "Cushing retains DROY bc :1 He was best; 2. Discomfort in speed/change of AP DROY voting rules for just this; 3. No clear 2nd place candidate"​
    Also, Cushing was eligible to play in all 16 games last season, and the vote is based on what an eligible player did. My problem is as much with the testing/suspending process as the award.

He’ll serve the suspension when he has to. That, and a dented reputation, seem to me to be a just penalty for his violation. Stripping him would have set a new precedent. Some say that would have been a bold, good development. I think it would be complicated and sloppy and still wonder now what circumstances will produce the next re-vote.

So defensive rookie of the year remains a line on his resume. We’ll also remember that season is connected to the four-game suspension still to come.

One interesting connected note, courtesy of Manish Mehta: Cushing's USC teammate Mark Sanchez was blown away by the news of the positive test and suspension.

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Wow. Nice message.

8. el_darax

el_darax Camp Fodder

Fail Press is Fail

Best quote from the comments on the actual article:

"I wonder how the voting journalists would feel if a major journalism award was given to someone who plagerized their articles"

Nuff' said.

• High Five High Five x 5
  9. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

That was pointless and I agree with everyone, this sends the wrong message.

10. Ewker

Ewker Starter

glad to see he won it again. No way should he have lost it to begin with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar