Cutler, Young and 114 days until the draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by TitanJeff, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

The draft speculation is well underway though we've not had a Senior Bowl, combine or Pro Day yet. And Jay Cutler has already shot up the charts and appears to be the "flavor of the week".

I don't doubt Cutler's ability but I never saw him a first-round talent. He's been extremely impressive at times but also had his questionable moments. After watching him make a number of horrible decisions in the MTSU game, I thought he would be a late second-round/third-round pick at best. He improved his stock in games against the Vols and Gators but I just don't see him a first-round talent. I think the Senior Bowl will bring some people back to earth a little. I can't imagine him being mentioned in the same breath as Leinart and Young though I may be wrong. We'll know about 2009.

The hype about Young will also settle down. I have concerns about him but there is no denying his potential. I'd take him with the third pick if Bush and Leinart are gone and groom him for a season behind McNair. I'll admit I've only seen him play a handful of games (Bowl in '04, Win vs. Ohio State, Rose Bowl) but he appears to have something I've not seen in any QB I've ever seen at the college level including Vick.

With nearly four months to the draft, it'll be interesting to watch how time and the workouts impact the top three. The exciting part of it is that if Young enters the draft, the Titans will be set to get an excellent player or get a ton in a trade down.

I'm not nearly as upset about that Jags loss now. ;)

2. danny

danny Guest

The Chargers lucked out a few years back picking up LT and then having Brees fall to them in round 2. If Cutler falls to round two (it may happen as long as Titanpride isn't a GM in the NFL), the Titans could get their local hero in round 2 and a stout defensive blue chipper in round 1.

3. Troupe4Prez

Troupe4Prez Guest

Cutler easily has the best arm in the draft, second to none, thats what puts him so high in the draft.I think the thought of Cutler in the right system is what makes people think about how he could turn out. We all know the top two are clutch and have certain intangibles, while Cutler has had some iffy moments he has the most all around upside do to the fact he has the best arm and can move out of the pocket and throw out of the run. To have him fall to us in the second round would be a pipe dream, but would be a perfect scenario for us.

4. TitanJeff

The best thing we can hope for is that the top guys continue to blow away the scouts in their workouts. It just gives Reese more options if someone is willing to give up the farm to come up.

5. TitanJeff

I love a big arm. It opens up so many possibilities. And no one can question the guy's heart. But there is just so much more involved in the position that I don't think you annoint a guy such high status until you see him in the Senior Bowl face some top talent. I've read of him being ranked the eighth pick in the draft which I find insane.

In my opinion, he faced four teams this season you can really say were of quality. They are LSU, Georgia, South Carolina and Florida. In those games, he was 81-for-151 for 987 yards for a 54% completion. In that stretch, he had six TDs and six INTs. That is an average of 247 yards per game. Granted, he has less talent around him but those are not numbers which warrent first-round consideration, IMO.

6. Troupe4Prez

Troupe4Prez Guest

In that case Youngwould automatically be discredited because of his weaker division, he played three ranked teams and while he did win all of them he didn't put up the most spectacular numers up against two of them (Texas Tech and Ohio State) and he even had a hard time against a division rival Texas A&m with these stats...13/24, 162 yds., 3 sacks 1td and 1 pic. While going 11 carries for 19 yds. on the ground.I dont mean to discredit VYoung because he could go first pick and deservedly so hes a great Qb but look at the talent he had whats the excuse for those less than stellar performances??? In an already weak conference. The SEC is one of the strongest defensive conferences in the nation and he managed pull out some good offensive numbers. In those four games you mentioned He was the only thing that kept Vandy in the game for as long as they were. The South Carolina and Florida games he shined in, if you watch those games he brought them to the edge of victory both times and his stats were impressive. While I do agree the Senior Bowl will show a lot he will also be working wiwth better talent offensively as well.Im sorry but 28/42 for 4td's and two picks in the swamp has got to show something?

7. ammotroop

ammotroop Airforce MAN

We keep talking about Cutler, but I have not even seen him play, nor have I heard anything about him other than this board. I wish I would have been paying more attention.

8. Troupe4Prez

Troupe4Prez Guest

Can't lose with the big three he is just an option if we do trade out, he has first round talent just not the exposure. By no means does he warrant a #3 pick but at the same time if Jason Campbell was a first round pick he is a first round pick by far and Mel Kiper and several so called draft experts have him ranked very high.

9. Troupe4Prez

Troupe4Prez Guest

I would like to add that I am pulling for Cutler but I would be completely happy with a Leinart or Young, they are great QB prospects and you really can't pass on this opportunity for a franchie signal caller.

10. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar